PP required to change colour of windows?

I drove through our village yesterday and spotted about 15 houses with coloured windows, not a single request for permission sought though.
I can do exactly the same around here, and get the same result when looking at extensions and loft conversions, and fences and drives, and walls, and probably windows.

Sponsored Links
The other question is, if I did change colour without permission, what's the worst case scenario in terms if enforcement? Is enforcement even likely, assuming the windows aren't particularly offensive?
The worst case is that you have to change them and pay all enforcement costs, the house burns down and the insurance is voided by the unauthorised work, you are left bankrupt and destitute, reliant on the charity of others, only to die a slow miserable death after years of decline and unhappiness.

All for the sake of filling in a form. :cautious:

The other question is, if I did change colour without permission

Normally I'd say crack on and just do it, but since you've said:

I have a couple of neighbours who would be very quick to inform the local planning department as they don't like change so want to make sure I'm not setting myself up to fail.

...I'd fill out the forms...

Sponsored Links
That's because painting window frames does not come under planning control unless in a designated area or listed.

But replacement does, and then colour does come into it - or more specifically can come into it if the planners deem it. And reference to "similar appearance" relates to the 'as original', and this prevents people painting the frames (which does not require permission) and then changing them for frames in the colour of that just painted and then say ing "but they are of similar appearance to what was there before".

This puzzles me though: replacement windows are required to be "of similar appearance", but this hasn't stopped people replacing timber sash windows with ill-proportioned plastic ones with top openers, hinged sashes, mock-Tudor diamond leading and all sorts of things that bear no resemblance to the original. How does that happen? Are we saying these are technical planning violations? Because if we are, I'm all in favour of mass enforcement :)

This puzzles me though: replacement windows are required to be "of similar appearance", but this hasn't stopped people replacing timber sash windows with ill-proportioned plastic ones with top openers, hinged sashes, mock-Tudor diamond leading and all sorts of things that bear no resemblance to the original. How does that happen? Are we saying these are technical planning violations? Because if we are, I'm all in favour of mass enforcement :)

"Similar appearance" has been given wide latitude under PD - not just windows but the requirement for actual extensions.

The rules are the rules, whether the planners would bother enforcing is another matter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back