Adding a window - PP & structural integrity

Seems cheap for just the frames. Is that supply and fit?

Regulations aside, I would look at proper images of similar houses with similar works. What is happening around the sides and with the bargeboards and fascia? This type of work needs to be considered in conjunction with other aspects of the building and not in isolation as a "front elevation", and there is a risk of it not looking right, and small design details can make a massive difference as to whether a design works or not.

Colours of the other components, rough or smooth render, width of the cladding, or even whether repetition off window sizes is desirable - they look a little dominant in those knock-ups, may be different in a real life/photo though.
Price is supply-only for Deceurninck frames and glass. I have a friend who’s Fensa registered who’s going to help so it shouldn’t cost too much more than the total price (except for cavity closers, sealant, shims and screws).

With respect, I’ve fitted cedar cladding at the back already and I know how to do it, what profiles and trims etc to use. I do a lot of timber construction and joinery.

I hear you with the front elevation-only design though and I agree - the plan is to do the windows and building work this year and then next year we will get quotes for rendering which will likely include elements of the sides of the house too.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
IMO top opening windows are essential. I think if you don't have them you may regret it. Just my opinion :)

Do you mean a pane split into two with a quarter opener at the top? We don’t use the one in the living room but you’ve got a point about the bedroom ones.

Do you mean a pane split into two with a quarter opener at the top? We don’t use the one in the living room but you’ve got a point about the bedroom ones.
Yes, we often have a small top window open in our bedrooms overnight as well as downstairs during the day.

Sponsored Links
Just had new windows, top openers provide ventilation without compromising security too much.

Restrictors/hinges are available
Yes. IMO a full height side-opening window with a 10cm restrictor fitted should be just as good as a top opener and the frame design is less cluttered. Also new windows must have trickle vents so condensation shouldn’t be as much of an issue as it is at the moment with our 1980’s aluminium frames.

On the regs side of things, I’ve spoken to my contact at BC and he’s suggested I need to make a submission of my plan for a yes/no answer on whether I need a full planning application for the cladding which is different to the building’s original materials. Also given me some helpful info on cladding considerations for part L.

top openers provide ventilation without compromising security too much
Typical keeps allow windows to be locked in a fractionally open position regardless of whether they're top opening or side opening?

I’ve spoken to my contact at BC and he’s suggested I need to make a submission of my plan for a yes/no answer on whether I need a full planning application
Building control advising on planning applications?

Building control advising on planning applications?

No. He said if it distinctly fell under permitted development he could tell me to go ahead but as the render doesn’t match the original building’s fabrication then I should submit my rough plan for a yes/no answer (£60 fee) to the planning dept to see if they will allow it without a full planning application.

Typical keeps allow windows to be locked in a fractionally open position regardless of whether they're top opening or side opening?

Yes I think that’s what Woody is getting at as well. You don’t necessarily have to have a small top opener to have extra ventilation options whilst not creating an easy way in for intruders.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back