Plot of Land - No PP - Viable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I am totally new to building/plots of land/planning permission etc.

I have seen a plot of land advertised with a 'workshop' on it and I am wondering if it's suitable to build a house on top of.

It is 19x36 feet in size (684 Square Feet). It has access to the road. It is situated in a residential area. I'd aim to build a 1 bedroom property with 2 floors. Kitchen/Living space downstairs, and double bedroom and bathroom upstairs.

I have the following questions:

1. Is it unusual for people to sell plots of land without planning permission, that are good candidates to be granted it? This plot is small, so maybe they just assumed it isn't viable, or maybe it is actually the case they tried to get PP but failed. Is there a way to check to see if anyone has ever tried to get PP for a specific plot in the past?

2. Can you build to the full extremities of the plot, or are there rules saying you have to leave a certain sized gap between house and fences? I understand the builders will likely need some space to work - so maybe I'd need to leave some room for that?

3. Assuming whatever house design I choose is fine.......What are the main reasons why Planning Permission may not be granted for this plot based on the pictures I have attached below. Is there anything you see that concerns you? In terms of loss of sunlight - I believe one neighbour would possibly be slightly affected, but this will probably, at worst, just affect their front garden in the winter......is this enough for PP to be refused? In terms of noise - the house will be small and simple, maybe even pre-built, so the building of the house will hopefully be quick. I will not put any overlooking windows on the upper sides of the house, and the upper rear of the building will probably have a large window, but have slats to avoid overlooking other properties. One thing that maybe concerns me is that the council may reject based on the size of the plot, which I have heard happen before. Any ideas if this could be an issue?

4. I have also attached some photos of the type of design I'd like to go for. I understand that you need to go for a design that is somewhat 'in-keeping' with surrounding properties, though I am not quite sure what this means as I have seen white, modern, cubed houses being built on Victorian streets. Any thoughts on why any of these designs would be rejected - please let me know.

1.png
2.png
3.jpg
Bottom right image above......I have drawn a white box showing how tall the house may be at max. Assumed minimal light impact on neighbours driveway.

4.jpg
5.jpg

These are just examples of designs I like. I like a modern-ish box design, with wooden cladding on the upper floor.
6.png

Sponsored Links
I would find your local plan guidance which will state what area a new dwelling must achieve, for example in Plymouth for a single one bed detached dwelling they'd expect 40m2 for the house + 100m2 for the garden etc. So that's about 1500ft2. I suspect this site is nothing like big enough. That's just one of the many issues and policies you would need to adhere to.

We’ve recently got planning permission for a 3 bed house on a plot of land we have owned for 30+ years. Currently it has a commercial vehicle workshop (that I work from) on it in a residential area. Initially we tried for two 1 bed flats but that was refused - main grounds being that the local authority put a block on 1 bed new builds and 1 bed flat conversions and wanted 'family friendly' new builds - hence the 3 bed house. It’s end of terrace and we also had the backing of our neighbour - they’d rather a family house instead of a working garage next to them. You might have opposition. Some of the things the local planning dept considered were outdoor space, car parking, it had to be built in same style as other houses, bicycle storage(!) and even dustbin/recycling bin storage area and access.

When we decide to sell, we'll sell with planning permission and let someone else have the aggro. The build could turn out to be a nightmare and someone pointed out that unless you had a cash buyer, the new build property may be un mortgageable without a NHBC guarantee until it’s about 10 years old (to be sure it’s not going to fall down!).

There’s other considerations too for you - getting gas, water, electricity, mains sewers laid on, local infrastructure levy, capital gains tax etc etc. It could turn out to be a nightmare and on a 1 bed property, may just not be worth it.

Last edited:
If you get planning permission I'll come and build it for free wearing a French Maid's outfit*

Where will the off street parking be? Where will the 10m or so of garden be? How are you going to prevent overlooking?

Don't get bogged down in minor things like a drain position. You need to research the council's new build housing strategy and in particular the policy for infilling back gardens.

*T&C's apply

Sponsored Links
We’ve recently got planning permission for a 3 bed house on a plot of land we have owned for 30+ years. Currently it has a commercial vehicle workshop (that I work from) on it in a residential area. Initially we tried for two 1 bed flats but that was refused - main grounds being that the local authority put a block on 1 bed new builds and 1 bed flat conversions and wanted 'family friendly' new builds - hence the 3 bed house. It’s end of terrace and we also had the backing of our neighbour - they’d rather a family house instead of a working garage next to them. You might have opposition. Some of the things the local planning dept considered were outdoor space, car parking, it had to be built in same style as other houses, bicycle storage(!) and even dustbin/recycling bin storage area and access.

When we decide to sell, we'll sell with planning permission and let someone else have the aggro. The build could turn out to be a nightmare and someone pointed out that unless you had a cash buyer, the new build property may be un mortgageable without a NHBC guarantee until it’s about 10 years old (to be sure it’s not going to fall down!).

There’s other considerations too for you - getting gas, water, electricity, mains sewers laid on, local infrastructure levy, capital gains tax etc etc. It could turn out to be a nightmare and on a 1 bed property, may just not be worth it.

I expected it would be a long shot.....

Though I don't really understand these strict demands, especially about sizes of plots and not liking 1 bed homes. No wonder why 1 bedroom houses barely exist and why people struggle to get that first step onto the property ladder. On top of this many households have added extensions over the years adding even more bedrooms and making the average sized home larger and more expensive, adding to the problem of finding a smaller, more affordable home.

My council likes having 1 bedroom flats built, but they build them in the town centre, right next to the railway line to London. So you are paying £350,000 - £450,000 for a small 1 bed flat. If you want to buy one under their Shared Ownership scheme, you pay a ridiculous rental fee and a ridiculous service charge.

Are councils purposefully trying to increase the house prices in their area? maybe that's a stupid question?

I'm not sure why a house has to have a garden, the few 1 bed houses near where I live mostly come without a garden, and these houses are probably smaller in size to the house I would like to build on this plot. Same with flats, flats are usually tiny.

Oh well, I guess I need to gamble to be able to afford a property......time to get back to investing / gambling.

why do the council care for a 10m garden? flats don't have gardens, a lot of 1 bed houses don't have gardens. WTF.

Could always try buying some garden off the neighbours....

Overlooking - there would be no windows on the sides of the house. Only at the front and back. The only 'overlooking' window will be the upper rear of the house....but to prevent overlooking - I'd add in wooden slats.

PS. I realise this is a no-goer. I noticed a application for a double garage extension with 2 new bedrooms above the garages that was just up the road was denied because it took light from the neighbour + apparently it was too overbearing. So same thing would likely happen with this.....DENIED!

Don't worry - I think I can make a crap tonne of money in the next month - so may be able to just buy a house outright.

Last edited:
First off I think that for a first attempt you have made a great effort and you are perhaps closer than you might think!

What you are looking at on a plot like this is something the same shape as the garage but with a basement and a mezzanine sleeping area above the first floor. You can forget a two storey as the roofline would be too high in my opinion. Obviously you can forget any car access but that might be a positive in a built up area.

It is not impossible but would cost a lot to build on account of the basement. You would need some space for the roof to drain into. The width at 5.8m is clearly very tight.

I don't know about that drain though but assuming that is ok then it is not impossible you could create something there, even if it turned out to be a 'crashpad' rather than a 1 bed house.

If you get planning permission I'll come and build it for free wearing a French Maid's outfit*

Where will the off street parking be? Where will the 10m or so of garden be? How are you going to prevent overlooking?

Don't get bogged down in minor things like a drain position. You need to research the council's new build housing strategy and in particular the policy for infilling back gardens.

*T&C's apply

Obviously having a free build will help!!!

I've not read the Ts & Cs, but this seems like a no-brainer. Stick in the application, and point out to the case officer the terms under which Woody's prepared to build it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back