Pre dashing questions?

Thanks al, i'll give my builders merchant a ring in the morning and see what they have available and the colours. Would i need the same again for the scratch coat or just use sand cement for that?

depending on the condition of the existing render, this stuff does not require a basecoat. the building would be pressure washed, stabalised and fungicidal washed, then corner and bellcast beads fitted where required.

made a mistake on the coverage dan.......they have reduced th kg bag size approx 2m2 now to the bag ffs :oops:

Sponsored Links
i suppose they'll of dropped the price by half then huh, my guess is they arent that kind. So approx.46 bags at approx £230.

View media item 9416Always be careful what you fix to roughcast too.... I'm not sure, but looking at the photo, although the wall is stained below the cill, the worst of the staining seems to be coming from what looks like a rusty cable clip/nail..... I've seen many a wall permanantly stained by "old" hanging basket brackets that have rusted, older satellite dishes/brackets, overflow pipes that drip all the time, neglected leaking gutter joints, cables fixed to the wall with clips that rust, etc,,,,,, the list goes on and on.

Roughcaster.

Why do they always tend to leave marks under the cills, i've seen a few houses like this now. The existing house i'm doing is tyrolean and the new extension is just onto block.

Sponsored Links
Not always. If the cill drip is well clear of the coating, then the drips should fall off, clear of the wall. The cill in your photo seems to have "very little" overhang at all,,,, and I think the cement render around the windows looks awful..

Roughcaster.

it's just the difference of opinions, but if you dont put the cement renders (reveals) around the windows what else can you do to make the house look different?

That house is also 100 years old or more, most of them houses have reveals

Render on the reveals/soffits themselves, is not a problem to me at all, I do it that way all the time, it's the shaped render on the face of the wall that spoils it for me.

Roughcaster.

its just personal preferance some like ornamental bands some dont!

What options are there for surrounding the windows? straight bands up sides and top, peaked top like the drawing, i've seen some doorways with a piece in the middle that seems to stick out like a square or triangle shape, not sure if these are stuck on or you buy them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back