Pre planning assessment - help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have purchased a house on a corner plot a year ago. I want to keep space at the back for 2 cars parking and the rest of the land is unwanted. Its an eyesore, the wall has fallen and something needs to be done with it.

A builder suggested he had seen similar sites accepted for a house since recent relaxation.

I have no knowledge of this at all and would love to know who would i contact to assess possibilities for that land? I cant get my head around the local planning portal. I would like to pay someone at the council to tell me what they think or suggest preferences...but i didnt see any options for that.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The council won't design anything for you! You need to employ someone (like an architectural technician) to design something for you. But you will need to say what you want to do with the space. If you don't know what you want to do how will anyone else. There a few possibilities, a shed, a garage an extension who knows! :rolleyes:

You don't need to say what you want to do with the space. You can ask an architect (or architectural designer, etc.) to tell you what's feasible!

Sponsored Links
There hasn't been any 'recent relaxation', or at least not as far as planning authorities are concerned; despite all the rhetoric from the Government, it's generally business as usual.

Most planning departments are anti-development; whatever you want, they won't look at the positives, they'll just think of things to object to.

Don't waste time and money going to one of those pre-app. meetings either- you'll come back none the wiser.

You don't need to say what you want to do with the space. You can ask an architect (or architectural designer, etc.) to tell you what's feasible!
Jeez throw us a bone! Some kind of brief is useful! Why should some poor techy spend an hour or so of his time, lending his years of experience plus his travelling expenses talking through with some clueless client what he could or couldn't do when there is only the glimmer of a job at the end of it?

+1 to that.

On a number of occasions over the years, I have been asked by potential clients to see if I would 'cast my eye over a piece of land' to see if they could get a house on the site.

Soon learned what a complete waste of time that is.

Jeez throw us a bone! Some kind of brief is useful! Why should some poor techy spend an hour or so of his time, lending his years of experience plus his travelling expenses talking through with some clueless client what he could or couldn't do when there is only the glimmer of a job at the end of it?

I would be willing to pay £100-200 for an hour assessment to give me the information I need. During the next recession you guys are toast if you shirk at that rate for zero labour thought sharing. I have skills to, and years of experience and I share them with my clients for money? I don't even question it, that's my main aim, daily.
Jesus, What happens when you get asked for a quote?

I do plenty of quotes (for free) and have given up hundreds of free hours and spent hundreds on traveling thanks, that's part of the deal but when the client has no idea what they even want to do you can get an instinct that this is one of those jobs that's not gonna go anywhere. And if you think we're on anything like£100-200 an hour you're completely clueless.

I do plenty of quotes (for free) and have given up hundreds of free hours and spent hundreds on traveling thanks, that's part of the deal but when the client has no idea what they even want to do you can get an instinct that this is one of those jobs that's not gonna go anywhere. And if you think we're on anything like£100-200 an hour you're completely clueless.

Are you just on here to argue pal? The £200 is what ide be willing to pay, it was you who called what I wanted doing 'bones'.

You're not paying on this forum are you, pal? You don't have a clue what you want, if you want some free help on this free advice forum then throw us a bone. Give us a clue as to what you want? I have already thrown you a couple of suggestions, what do you want form us? Do a design for a garage? do a design for a landscaped garden? Do a design for an extension? What's your budget? How are you going to do your parking on the site? Are you going to be living in this house or are you selling it on to make money or letting it out maybe, do you intend staying there for five years or thirty years? It all has an impact on what you could do.

You're not paying on this forum are you, pal? You don't have a clue what you want, if you want some free help on this free advice forum then throw us a bone. Give us a clue as to what you want? I have already thrown you a couple of suggestions, what do you want form us? Do a design for a garage? do a design for a landscaped garden? Do a design for an extension? What's your budget? How are you going to do your parking on the site? Are you going to be living in this house or are you selling it on to make money or letting it out maybe, do you intend staying there for five years or thirty years? It all has an impact on what you could do.

You missed the point. As I said in my first post, a builder suggested a house and I don't want the land it requires too much spending on it. I require a trade to tell me what is plausible. I don't want free help, although that is what this forum is for.

[ I require a trade to tell me what is plausible.

Only the local planning dept will give you a clue, though they won't necessarily come straight out and say 'you can have such-and-such'.
But asking anyone else is just guesswork.[/i]

Just to offer a bit of general advice, I am not sure a house would be the best idea. I doubt you are going to be able to provide the garden space and / or carparking for both the new property - whilst maintaining the same for the original dwellings.

Has anyone done anything similar in the area? Might give you a slither of hope - although I doubt it......

It's worth looking into "permitted development rights" for the original dwelling. You can add some rear extensions to the original property without full planning permission, ditto outbuildings that are incidental to the house.

Everything else is going to rely on the local authority and / or the expertise of someone familiar with the area and the local policies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back