Precast flue help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have 2 cracks in the bottom starter block in our precast flue system, is this repairable without paying hundreds of pounds?

We have been told not and advised to have a balanced flue but we would prefer to repair or replace the block if possible.

Sponsored Links
Picture of the situation would help. I've repaired cracks with fire cement and properly done and tested was perfectly ok.

I've added a picture and placed scraps of paper where the 3 cracks are. You can move the 3 pieces so I'm guessing the block has fracked all the way through.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    196.1 KB · Views: 526
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    77.9 KB · Views: 995
Not a job that I would advise you try to do yourself, but must also point out that I know absolutely nothing about gas fires even though I am qualified to work on them, Fireman T among others will give you a better answer I would have thought it would need replaced but I honestly dont know

Sponsored Links
I can see no reason that after cleaning and resealing those joints, that the flue wouldn't
be perfectly safe to use again. I've repaired similar defects with no problem.

My view would be that if it's cracked at the bottom it might be cracked higher up too. I wouldn't fit a fire to it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back