Precast flue repair

UFO

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Have just removed an electric fire and found a broken flue behind it (see photo).
The RH side and part of the back of the precast flue has been knocked away.
Looks like the damage was to gain access for the mains wiring for the fire.
As well as structural concerns, there is quite a draft coming through.
Would appreciate any comments regarding how to tackle this.

Many thanks.

Attachments

• Precast Flue.JPG
    Precast Flue.JPG
    189.2 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Get a plasterer in to block up and fit a vent to minimise any form of condensation. Are you keeping the plug? If so you might want to have it brought forward.

• Thanks
Reactions: UFO
Thanks novice, I am a little concerned regarding support for the precast stack though. I have been told that there should be a lintel above which takes most of the weight. If this is the case (perhaps someone can advise), then blocking up with allowance for the socket and a vent, should hopefully be enough.

Last edited:
If it's not to be used again, no reason not to fill the damaged section with mortar. I don't think you'll have an issue with strength but using mortar to re-instate some of the structural element won't go wrong, then get it plastered.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Madrab, my main concern was the stack and how well supported it now is - your advice is encouraging. I cannot see any evidence of movement so hopefully the precast flue remains strong. Cheers.

Thanks gas112, that makes sense to me based on what I have read about precast flues.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back