prefab home help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've posted this in decorating as well, but thought I'd post it here too.

My house is a nightmare! Moved in about a year ago, and now finally getting round to decorating.

It is a prefab (post war I think) property. The previous occupiers put up nasty embossed wall paper, covered with beige gloss finish paint in every room. I have no idea what is behind the wallpaper, but on a hunch I think it might just be plasterboard, as you can see the joins quite easily. I've taken a bit of the wallpaper off in one room, but have no idea what I am looking for. The wall is bright orange underneath, what is this? All my previous homes have been plastered, and am a bit of a DIY novice, so not entirely sure where to start!

Ideally I don't want to plaster anything, can you paint straight onto plasterboard? Or does that increase the risk of damp?
Help!

Sponsored Links
It will just be emulsion under the paper.

Painting directly onto plasterboard is quite normal and causes no issues.

I doubt your walls will be good enough to paint onto without a lot of sanding /filling and even then will still look naff.

Have pulled off a fair amount already, and so far they dont look to bad, no cracks or anything. What should I do so it doesn't look naff?

Wait till you have it all stripped then you can decide if you can sand and paint it, line and paint it or bite the bullet and get it skimmed.

Sponsored Links
Be careful as if I remember rightly we had a lot of prefabs in Birmingham and I think that some of the construction consisted of Asbestos.So before you do anything else just get it checked or enquire around .I hope I am wrong ,But you must make sure. ;)

hi is it a house like this?

http://www.***************.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/postwar-housing-whitleigh-plymouth.jpg

If so the fella is right, it may contain asbestos. They used it before they knew it was harmful. Just to be sure, i would be wary of sanding down the walls, maybe get a builder in to take a look?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back