Premier 24 Install- PIR Issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Am having a little trouble having just finished an upgrade from an old failed alarm system to a newer premier 24 poly system. I am using 7 out of the 8 zones (have configure Z8 to not in use), and have wired all zones using 2k2 and 4k7 EOL configured to the DoublePole/EOL option on the panel. The problem is, out of the 6 PIR's, the 4 older ones are having problems with this config.

I have followed the PIR EOL wiring exactly like this

post-15290-1196251559.jpg

The 4 older PIRs are showing around 5k4 when closed with tamper circuit (have checked the PIR manual, they are N/C PIRs) and 6k6 when active. I can't get my head around this at all. I checked the PIR's bridged with normal wire (i.e little resistance) and there is nearly no resistance without resistors, so can't figure where the extra resistance is coming from. When tamper is open they are around 10k.

Any help appreciated!

Cheers
Jake

Sponsored Links
Have you used the correct resistors ?

Hi sparkymarka ,

Yup, even checked the resistance values of the individual resistors and across the terminals on the PIR circuit. Get approx 4k6 across the + and - alarm terminals, approx 2k16 from alarm - and tamper +, and 7k6ish across alarm + and tamper +, which i expect..Go figure....

What ? ? ? You should be getting 6.9 active and 2.2 closed at panel ( don't meter with wires connected) go to engineer utils in programming and go to zone status the resistance reading will be there. What panel did you take out? And what pirs are they ?

Sponsored Links
What ? ? ? You should be getting 6.9 active and 2.2 closed at panel ( don't meter with wires connected) go to engineer utils in programming and go to zone status the resistance reading will be there. What panel did you take out? And what pirs are they ?

Sorry- point I was trying to make is the resistors are giving the correct values individually and combined at the PIR. At the panel I am getting 5k4 closed and 6k6 active!

The panel was a rubbish Melcom ST6100, which appeared to be from Maplin. The PIR's from a quick Google search appear to be an old Wickes Sensor (Get PLC). I may well end up replacing them with some Texecom Premier PIRS, but thought I ought to ask here first to make sure it's not likely to be something else.....

So no obvious ideas then..... Perhaps tomorrow I'll try a working PIR from one of the working 2 to rule out the wiring, and if it works purchase 4 new sensors. I'll report back if I manage to solve it!

Cheers
Jake

Have you metered the tamper switch? You should be getting an open circuit with the tamper open, not 10k. Could be iffy resistance on the switch, especially if it's a cheap and old sensor. Try connecting the "AZ1-" wire to the end of the 2K2 resistor.

Why bother PIRs are cheap as chips these days.

If I was a gambling man, which I'm not (that is until the other half goes away :LOL: ) then i'd say that the PIR's don't have a relay in them. Instead, they have something else in them which I can never remember what it's called but where it makes the panel think its gone open circuit.

OP: Can you post pictures, one of the inside of a working PIR and one that isn't.

P.S The girlfriends away this weekend :D

not really an update as such, but I took the advice and replaced the crappy wicks PIR's for a couple of Bosch BlueLines in EOL and it appears to have done the trick!

Thanks for all the ideas :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back