Premier Elite 48 extremely quiet speaker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,
I'm completely puzzled. I've purchased a Secware sound bomb to use as an internal sounder with my Premier Elite 48. I've tried connecting it to the keypad speaker terminals as well as the control panel speaker terminals and in either case the output is barely louder than the keypads own builtin speaker. This can't be right. I've tried with two different speakers, same issue.
Am I being completely stupid?

Sponsored Links
Sound Bomb2 - Quad Piezo elements
112dB sound output
125mA current consumption
ABS casing in white
Twin wall fixings
15cm flying lead ( Black & Red)
Dimensions: 106 x 106 x 33 mm
12VDC Powered
Compatible with any Alarm Control Panel and used throughout the industry

It needs to be connected to a 12 volt supply via a relay contact. The relay coil being controlled by a suitable output from the panel.

The speaker terminals will not be 12 volt so the cound bomb is not getting the power it needs.

I have a quad sound bomb and frankly it's a bit naff. It scares the cat and irritates the YL but that's about it.

The speaker terminals are for a SPEAKER, not a piezo soundbomb, or any other type of "sounder".

"sounders" and "speakers" are different.

A speaker gives you audible tones as the system works (entry/exit tones, chime tones, alarm tones).

A sounder gives you a screeching noise when the alarm sounds, and triggered using an alarm output, or the bell output. Attention should be made to the current demand of the sound bomb though - it may overload the panel, or the output. A relay, and even an additional PSU, may be required.

Sponsored Links
Quite so, although I suspect the 13.8V 6A bench PSU I had it plugged into should be more than sufficient for its needs.

Thanks guys, I think I realised this myself too at about the same time.
I think the slightly abstract naming of things threw me. I just assumed that the speaker outputs were the internal equivalent of the external bell.
I've wired the soundbomb up to the Bell+12 and Bell-nve and of course it now sounds as you'd expect.

the sound bomb is voltage driven.

one end to an output and the other to 12V.

Not sure the keypad output can handle more than 100mA

The speaker terminal is to drive a 16ohm speaker, not a 12V sounder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back