1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Prep for painting hardwood floor (previously varnished).

Discussion in 'Floors, Stairs and Lofts' started by rarara, 11 Sep 2017.

1. rarara

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Am looking to paint a maple floor in a lounge (please don't suggest leaving it natural :whistle:) that has previously been sanded/varnished, with what I believe was a solvent-base polyurethane.

What sort of floor paint is recommened - water, oil based etc?

Is a primer needed?

What sort of prep - keying sufficient?

Thanks!

2. chappers

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    a decent clean and sand, both water and oil based are available I would definitely prime according to the recommendations of the manufacturers of the paint you choose.
    I know you said don't suggest leaving it natural, but can I ask why not.

3. rarara

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    it just doesn't look good within the room itself, when alongside our furniture, fire surround etc - its quite dated looking

4. chappers

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    fair enough, to be honest if you want it back it should be possible to sand the paint back off

5. Doggit

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'd go for an oil based undercoat and top coat for wear strength. You'll need to prime it first with an acrylic primer, then 2 coats of undercoat, and then at least 2 coats of topcoat. That would be fairly standard for most woods, but being a floor, you don't want the paint to wear too quickly. But have you thought about a stain instead. Maples fairly light, so should take a stain easily, and then it's up to you whether you varnish it again to get a good wear surface, or just leave it stained and natural.

6. rarara

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    can i ask why an acrylic primer if the stuff going on top is oil based?

also, is the primer and undercoat you suggest a specific floor version? (previously primed and painted pine, but can't remember what primer i used :rolleyes:)

7. Doggit

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Most primers are okay, so maybe I shouldn't have said acrylic, just used to it; and I don't think it raises the grain as much as water based one do, so only needs a lighter sanding afterwards.