Prep work before dot and dab

Sponsored Links
If in doubt - get the PVA out.

I've read on here that i should wet the wall first, or should i just water some PVA down and use that?

also what sort of gaps should there be between the dabs?

If you look back thru some of the posts you will find all the info you need, as for preparing the wall its'
not necessary as the dry wall adhesive sticks to anything !!!!. (except dusty or flaky surfaces) .Also I usually put the dabs on every 6 to 8 inchs and make sure you put them closer together along the skirting line....

Sponsored Links
I usually put the dabs on every 6 to 8 inchs and make sure you put them closer together along the skirting line....
I space them around 8" but put an extra, intermediate dab all around the edge of the board! If in doubt, PVA first; it will seal the dust & won't do any harm.

when dabbing an extension we drag a garden hose in, attach the shower head fitting and soak all the walls.

1. it kills the dust.

2. it deals with the suction.

each wall will require soaking just prior to dabbing. a large wall may need more than one soaking.

as said earlier, drywall adhesive has excellent grab properties and suffers only minor shrinkage. i only use pva on suspect surfaces, i.e. painted surfaces, unstable surfaces or surfaces of greatly differing suction backgrounds.

there a few benefits that pva will give over a good soaking when dealing with d&d, particularly over unmolested bare block or brick walls. the adhesive is that good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back