Preparation for skimming - removing blown plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I stripped the wallpaper from my landing area in preparation for it to be skimmed and found that some of the plaster at the bottom of the wall had blown. I will chip this out but I wanted to ask what other preparation should I do before the plasterer arrives? ie

- is it necessary to PVA the area where the blown plaster has been removed?

- should this area be filled so it is level with the 'good' plaster before it is skimmed? If so how easy is it to do myself?

Basically I want to do all the preparation before the plasterer arrives so he can just skim.

Thank you in advance!

Sponsored Links
all depends really, how deep will the holes be? if it's just a couple of mm deeper than the wall he will be skimming then there is no needs to fill out, any more than that then you will, this can be done with a trowel and some easifill, which dries quickly and can be sanded very easily.

regarding PVA, this will depend but probably, what is the surface that he will be plastering onto? the idea of PVA is to reduce suction of the background and make the suction even all over the surface so that the new plaster goes off slowly and evenly, so if you have a painted wall being skimmed this will have almost no suction but removing blown plaster will reveal a surface that will have, this will need PVA at a ratio of 5:1 24 hours before plasterer arrives, he should then PVA the whole wall again prior to skimming.

I stripped the wallpaper from my landing area in preparation for it to be skimmed and found that some of the plaster at the bottom of the wall had blown.
Is it just the finish skim that’s gone or is the base plaster blown as well?

I will chip this out but I wanted to ask what other preparation should I do before the plasterer arrives? Basically I want to do all the preparation before the plasterer arrives so he can just skim.

Talk to your plasterer first before you do any prep work; it often seems like a good idea but it wont save you much if any money & some, including myself, prefer to do all their own prep work but if your plasterer is happy for you to prep, follow his instructions precisely.
- is it necessary to PVA the area where the blown plaster has been removed?
- should this area be filled so it is level with the 'good' plaster before it is skimmed? If so how easy is it to do myself?

Yes in both cases; it’s not difficult but its essential the preparation is done correctly & it will vary depending on other factors. The reason you’re asking these questions is because you have no experience & while that’s understandable, it’s the very reason I don’t like customers doing their own prep. The thing to consider is that if you do the prep. work & it goes wrong it could possibly be your fault (or at least you may get blamed); if I do my own prep. work & it goes wrong, it can only be my fault.

Thanks for your advice, it's much appreciated.

I believe it's the base plaster that has blown leaving just bare brick behind.

Removing the blown plaster will leave a difference of maybe 2cm between the good plaster and the wall so I will buy some easifil as suggested and fill it.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Yes it has blown the base as well; it's important that you remove ALL the bad bits as the skim will only be as good as the surface you put it onto. I would not advise you use Easyfill; it's a fine, easy sand surface filler & too soft as a base IMO. My advice would still be be to consult your plasterer first but if you insist on going ahead with the prep. work, use Bonding Plaster.

Thanks RichardC

My plasterer doesn't speak much English and he's the kinda guy you call, he'll turn up next day and do the job. I can't really give him a call to ask advice 'cos I wouldn't be able to explain the problem without sign language and him seeing it for himself but I don't want to get him round to inspect first 'cos he doesn't live local and he'd charge. His work is good and he is cheap so I'm willing to take a chance with the prep work myself.

Point taken re using bonding plaster.

Thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back