Preparation for tiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Kudos on the basics sticky gcol but if possible could i get a little more info on pre work, could also be included in sticky if someone had time?

Basically i will be getting a pro in to do the actual tiling but was going to do all the prep.

I know some can be a little fussy and so could edit this breif list of things i plan to sort before he comes. any advice on how to/ specific materials appreciated.

First floor bathroom, tiling to be done on two solid walls (Plaster over brick) and floor which is currently 18mm floor boards. Wall tiles are to be bevel edge brick tiles and floor tiles 30 x 30

1. Once existing tiles are off the 2 walls, just chisel/ bolster off as much old adhesive as possible. fill any large holes/ gouges. Is this enough?

2 lift floor tiles and lay 12mm wsb ply over floorboards (with pipe and waste access).

3. Put in shower tray and attach waste etc, Do i stick it down with anything? Also just butt it up against walls, (Its going in the corner with the 2 solid walls) and run a thick bead of silicone down edges?

4. Relax and re check this post to see my horrible mistakes.

Sponsored Links
Kudos on the basics sticky gcol....
Muchos gracious.

1. Once existing tiles are off the 2 walls, just chisel/ bolster off as much old adhesive as possible. fill any large holes/ gouges. Is this enough?
The flatter the wall, the better the result will be. Aim to have no ridges of adhesive and any holes should be filled in with plaster - "One coat" plaster is fine. These http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=16530&ts=26655 are very good at removing adhesive. If you are using tiles like these http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/166213...vJOxcInvY1H4JwBcSZ2MIfCIMv2VNq1z WJ9bQPNXrg== then I would strongly recommend that you tank the walls around the shower area before tiling.

2 lift floor tiles and lay 12mm wsb ply over floorboards (with pipe and waste access).
12mm WBP ply screwed as mentioned in the sticky is fine. Don't forget to stagger the joints. Use a quality flexible adhesive too - Bal single part flexible or Bal rapiset flexible are the only adhesives I would entertain using on wood.

3. Put in shower tray and attach waste etc, Do i stick it down with anything? Also just butt it up against walls, (Its going in the corner with the 2 solid walls) and run a thick bead of silicone down edges?
Depends... if the shower tray has a raised lip around the edges then it should be sunk into the walls so that when you tile, the tile will overlap the raised lip. If no lip, just push against the wall and silicone the gaps and leave the silicone flush with the top of the tray. Don't forget you should be tanking over this joint in either case.
If the tray has adjustable legs then you can screw these down. If it's a ceramic tray them you can Gripfill it down to give even support.

I have seen the grim aftermath of busted grout and mouldy/ disintegrating ply on stud work and would never consider not tanking there but would i still need to do it on the 2 solid walls the tray will be against? The tiles you specified are correct

Also i have never used the tanking products available but have seen and heard of them plenty. The one area i dont get it the wall to shower tray joint? It would be a little pointless just to run the tanking down the back of the tray so i assume has some sort of sheet/ lip to deflect and moisture into the tray?

Or is it just a bead of silicone to sort out that function?

Also i may only part tile the walls once old tiles are removed, I am planning on those areas needing skimmed, this sound necessary?

I have seen the grim aftermath of busted grout and mouldy/ disintegrating ply on stud work and would never consider not tanking there but would i still need to do it on the 2 solid walls the tray will be against?
I would, any moisture passing through the grout will soak into the walls and go mouldy.

Also i have never used the tanking products available but have seen and heard of them plenty. The one area i dont get it the wall to shower tray joint? It would be a little pointless just to run the tanking down the back of the tray so i assume has some sort of sheet/ lip to deflect and moisture into the tray?
There should be a roll of tape in the kits. The tape is applied to wall corners and to the wall/tray joint. Full instructons should be included.

Also i may only part tile the walls once old tiles are removed, I am planning on those areas needing skimmed, this sound necessary?
It's usual for an amount of patching up after removing tiles so you should expect to have to do it. Having said that, it can vary greatly - it might need totally replastering if the plaster drops off or it might not need any repair work at all.

Sponsored Links
lastly, seeing as i'm not getting any reply in the plastering section could anyone suggest roughly how long i would need to leave the walls after skimming them before tiling over?

New plaster should be left for 4 weeks to dry before tiling. However, this is regularly ignored as it is often inconvenient. Drying time can be speeded up with the use of a dehumidifier. Leave it until it looks dry then leave it for a week afterwards and you should be ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back