preparing a plasterboard wall and plastered wall for showerh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

i am having a quadrant enclosure in the corner of my bathroom but one wall is plasterboard and the other is brick/plaster (see post in plastering section).

i dont want to tile straight onto these ias i have heard stories of leaks and i dont want to be ripping them off to fix it in the future.

what are these aqua panel things?? and would i be better getting these or tanking the walls and if so, is tanking a hard job??

just want the best and most cost efficient way of doing it with not too much hassel!!!

many thanks

george

Sponsored Links
If you walls are in good/reasonable condition then I would go for tanking.

Use something like this

http://www.trades-direct.co.uk/modules/shop/view.asp?Prodcode=9005-101

Just a question of applying primer,tape and tanking fluid all instructions should be with the kit,I use a mini gloss roller to apply mine and cheap brush for corners.

thanks lancenotalot. does the tiling have to be done straight after applying the tanking stuff?? i take it if its a rubber based stuff then it will attract the dust etc. would there be enough in that kit to do a full shower?? i.e 2 walls, 900mm wide each and 1850 high??

thanks again mate

george

there will be more than enough for what you need, most recommend you only actually use it up to 1 meter, and you will have to wait till its dry to tile on, apply 2 coats, 1st coat and tape wait 3 hours 2nd coat tile next day.

Sponsored Links
ok - bit of an update..

i have stripped the walls back to brick work and had plasterboard dot and dabbed onto the brick wall, and new board fitted to the stud wall. the walls havnt been skimmed with plaster or anything so do i need to seal them with some sort of paint before hand??

i want to tank the wall definately, with that dunlop stuff, then tile over with 33cm by 27cm ceramic tiles. will these be ok on the wall and not to heavey??

with the tanking i apply first coat and tape one day, then second coat and tile the next?? or do i apply both coats the day before tiling and let it dry overnight, tiling the next day??

cheers

george

the walls havnt been skimmed with plaster or anything so do i need to seal them with some sort of paint before hand??
Nope.
i want to tank the wall definately, with that dunlop stuff, then tile over with 33cm by 27cm ceramic tiles. will these be ok on the wall and not to heavey??
No, they won't be too heavy either.
i apply both coats the day before tiling and let it dry overnight, tiling the next day??
Yep.

just to resurrect this post!!!

getting to the point where tiling is going to be done...

can i tile straught onto the plasterboard which is NOT in the shower area without sealing it with paint or primer or the like??

i have got a tanking kit for the shower cubicle to be applied to the plasterboard then tiled over so thats ok.

just want to know if i need to seal the other walls before i tile onto them??

cheers

george

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back