tanking, plasterboard, aquapanel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
this is the rough plan of a new bathroom I am fitting. As you can see two walls are external and will be sand/cemented then plastered. The two internal walls were going to be stud walls with plasterboard.

What I'd like to know is what product to use on each wall. The large rectangle is he shower enclusure. Instead of using plasterboard on that stud wall shall I use aquapanel? Or shall I use plasterboard and then a tanking product? The same goes for the external wall that will have one side of the shower enclosure on it. This will be plastered, shall I then batten and aquapanel it, or tank the plaster.

I presume the other parts of walls are fine as they are as they won't be getting wet.

I am hoping to tile natural slate onto whatever product I should use within the shower enclusure.

thanks

pic:
bathroom.jpg

Sponsored Links
well i've done more reading and come to the conclusion to plasterboard the stud wall then tank that plus tank where the shower sits against the cemented/plastered wall too.

If someone could confirm this it's be great. ta.

Should be OK I've reduced the anount of Aquapanel that I use since they said it needed skimming with tile adhesive before tanking, just too much work. Properly tanked the plasterboard will not get wet.

Don't put any plaster on the external wal just render it, then tank in the wet areas

Jason

What's with the sudden interest in using slate in showers? That's two posts in a day. By the way Jason, I totally agree with what you wrote on the other post - slate is not the future for showers. What wasn't mentioned is the probability that the slate might be of a varying thickness. Whilst you can get away with using more adhesive on floors, you're gonna struggle on a wall.

Sponsored Links
Hmm, interesting what you say about using slate. I came to think about it purely because I like natural stone. I used travertine in my last bathroom project and it looked great. In this bathroom I am only tiling the shower enclosure, and just liked the look of the rustic, multi-coloured slate. But thanks for your comments, I'll get down a tile shop and and have a look at my options.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back