Preparing for kitchen units on floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to start on refurbishing a utility room. There is a huge amount of info out there on how to go about preparing the floor, but this seems to have changed over time as materials have developed. These are my current thoughts; I'd appreciate any comments to help me in the right direction.

The house dates from late '70s, early 80s. Solidly built but in need of updating throughout. The floor in the utility room is t&g floorboard with a limited ventilated underspace.

There are existing built in kitchen units and a sink that will be replaced more or less like for like. The existing floor covering is vinyl (possibly two layers!) with what looks like thin ply under it in some places.

Our current thinking is that we'd like tiles on the floor, so looking around it seems that tile board (something like 'nomoreply' ) can go straight onto the floorboards using glue and screws. Then prime (or buy it ready primed). This board would go right across the room. The kitchen units would go on top of the tile board, but tiles would only go up to the unit feet (just under plinth). Where the freestanding washer and dryer are, the tiles would go all the way under. (Tiling happens after the units are in).

Does that make sense? I've had a look at the 'nomoreply' website, and that seems to be what they suggest. Are there any other brands of board that people would suggest as alternatives?

Sponsored Links
Thank you foxhole. I thought it just seemed too straightforward to be true!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back