Preparing plasterboard walls for tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm after some advice about the preparation of plasterboard walls for tiles. I've stripped the old tiles off and today used a steam cleaner and scraper and made a start removing the adhesive. In the photo shown I've done more work towards the right of the photo and its quite smooth in places.
I do plan on getting a professional tiler in but wanted to try and keep the cost down by doing some of the preparation.
Do I have to completely remove all adhesive or just the bulk of it and smooth/sand it back?
Is there a special type of plaster to use to fill any holes?
In places I've take the top layer of paper off. Does this need priming/filling?
I do realise it may be easier for professionals just to replace the entire plasterboard but like I said I don't mind doing some work ahead of the professionals to keep the cost down.
Thanks in advance.

long%20wall_zpspjehj0di.jpg

Sponsored Links
That is totally destroyed, and any repair attempt is futile.

Cut out the area where the tiles were and fix in a new piece of plasterboard. You will only need a single sheet, cost less than £10.

I did think this was going to be the reply to be honest. I think I’ll just leave it to the professionals.

Sponsored Links
Cut out and replace with aqua panel or similar .
Or abandon tiling and use panels .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back