Preparing sub floor for Screed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I’m currently trying to rectify a lot of poor workmanship and corner cutting by our previous builder.
In the attached photo I have removed poorly laid DPM and insulation boards with a view to starting again.
Also there is no DPM under the slab.
What I am considering is rather than attempt to notch out the back of the insulation boards over the multitude of pipe work is to lay an extra deep
4B1C6502-443E-4968-9133-F8C5C1B29516.jpeg
sand blinding layer over the pipe work and rule it off level, then lay my DPM over the sand followed by the insulation boards. I will then be installing a wet underfloor heating system followed by the appropriate screed.
Would that be an acceptable procedure??
Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is there enough depth for what you propose - why not make a drawing of a full scale section view using the next room FFL as a benchmark?
Maybe there's ample hot water piping in that compartment already?
I cant see the whole floor or the depth at the threshold but you might be better off constructing a suspended floor with a 3/4" ply surface?

Last edited:
There’s plenty of depth. I Just wanted to see if anyone would flag a reason for not using compacted sand over the pipe work?? As long as I use a DPM on top of the sand I can’t really see an issue. Appreciate your feedback though, Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back