preparing the backboxes for skimming

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys! Do you do anything to protect the backboxes from being filled with plaster? Last time I had a room skimmed, the plasterer left all the backboxes half full, earth clamps were buried under an inch of plaster.

Apart of being present while the plasterer skims, and cleaning the backboxes before the plaster dries, is there a way to make my life easier?

Sponsored Links
There is something on the market to stop it happening but I can't remember it's name off-hand. Tell the plasterer he won't get paid if he doesn't clean out the boxes after finishing !

I've got some of those plastic guides, but can't remember the name. What you could do, though, is cut some chipboard or similar so it just fits into the backbox, put a couple of screw-holes in that line up with the 3.5mm fixings, and screw them in place until he's finished. The screw lugs will prevent them going deep into the backbox

The plastic guides are very good for a DIYer, but a pro plasterer might grumble as he can't run his trowel over the top of them (they stick out)

I wouldn't want a plasterer poking sharp metal implements near my cables.

EDITED
found mine
"DCP" brand. electrical back box plastering guide
www.davies-cookproducts.com
website seems dead
try ebay, search "Electrical Back Box Plastering Guide" Get the trade multipack.

a clumsy plasterer will still get stuff in the box as they are open-fronted. I suppose you could put screwed up paper of something in the backbox first, or strong sticky tape (or my bit of chipboard).

I solution i've adopted from others is that I cut an off cut of plastic capping and fit it across the box; being wedged it place between the screw lugs and the coiled up cables behind, its not a perfect solution but stops the cables being totally encased in plaster, still have to chip a bit away from teh edges though

Sponsored Links
I wonder if an older MK metalclad blank plate would fit inside a metal box?

I solution i've adopted from others is that I cut an off cut of plastic capping and fit it across the box; being wedged it place between the screw lugs and the coiled up cables behind, its not a perfect solution but stops the cables being totally encased in plaster, still have to chip a bit away from teh edges though

Indeed. The 1½inch capping fits exactly inside.

:mrgreen:

Many thanks to all of you! I am in a mood to experiment now :D Will try plastic cupping in one box, paper in another, etc. Hopefully next week will be able to report the results.

If you are doing your own bonding (and thus trust yourself not to damage cables) a dab of vaseline around the inside face of the box insures that the bonding simply falls away when dry.

Anyway I find it quiet therapeutic to cut out the plaster / bonding with the edge of a stanley knife against the inside of the box as a guide :LOL:

There's a thing called an Oozi box that's in the current copy of Professional Electrician (free at most wholesalers), but it's a load of expensive old bollix.

I just dig out the plaster with an old chisel - voila!, good as new :)

Mind you, I have also had a cantankerous old git (since shuffled off this mortal coil) who not only cut my cables away, then proceeded to fill in my light switches. On purpose too.
When I pointed out this 'error' to him, he replied 'you've got a bolster haven't you?'.

'Yes I have' was my response.

You should have seen the state of the wall I left for him!!! :)))

No plasterer will want anything sticking out of the wall, so those overpriced plastic box efforts are a total bust.

Even if you found someone willing to plaster around them, the finish would be rubbish.

I suspect so flameport. That's why I am going to try other methods suggested here.

There's two types of plasterer: the clean and the dirty. The dirty plasterer will not only fill the boxes with his careless over-trowelling, but he'll also leave the floor caked with his 'droppings'. The clean and considerate plasterer will at least make a token effort to scrape out the basic outline of a wall box.

It often depends on whether the plasterer and electrician have an established, good working relationship or whether they are complete strangers.

Lucia.

There is a third, the vindictive plasterer.

The VP will fill one (or sometimes more than one) of your boxes with bonding and then hardwall over - leaving a gleamingly smooth wall - behind the finished masterpeice will lurk your boxes, but can you remember where they are located when you return, some weeks later, for second fix?

I now take digital photos of the first fix elevations as an "aide memoire".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back