Preparing to Lay New Vinyl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have searched to see if this had already been covered, but could find nothing. Apologies in advance if I am incorrect. :oops:

I pulled up my vinyl flooring in preparation for new vinyl. The last floor had been levelled after the bathroom had been installed, so the levelling compound was around the toilet and sink bases. My new toilet and sink are a different shape and so there is a bit of a gap between old levelling compound and new toilet base.
Please could anyone let me know what I can use for that small an area?

Secondly, the last vinyl floor had double sided tape all around it. Removing the floor left a lot of the sticky stuff from the tape on the floor. Before putting new tape down what should I do? Remove this sticky stuff, and if so how? My thinking is that a bit of sanding would work, but wanted to check.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

SheyMouse

Sponsored Links
The leveling compound or screed is to give you a smooth blemish free floor. - any imperfections in your floor will show through the new vinyl.

In theory you should have the floor re-screeded for a proper job - an experienced fitter may be able to patch repair and I stress the word "may"
attempting to "fill" the missing area may create a hump which will be visible. Without seeing it, it is difficult to give a definitive answer!

regarding the sticky residue, as you are replacing with another piece of vinyl I would just leave it be

@lymmranger First of all thanks for the reply.

I realise it may not be perfect, but I need to give it a go before going down the pro route. Nothing serious - I just feel that for such a small space I could do this myself and get a good finish.

As for the residue thing, that info is better than I was looking for! I was all ready to spend the weekend crazily scrubbing everything off, so this is good news.

Thanks,

SheyMouse

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back