Preparing wall for lining paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My first post here.... I'm starting to redecorate a house we have bought.

The walls were all painted over the top of nasty old wallpaper and when removing that, there was plenty of paint underneath the paper too... alot of it is flaking but not much will budge with just a scraper alone.

I intend to use lining paper and paint 3 of the walls and wallpaper a feature wall.

How far do I have to go before I get a wall good enough to apply the lining paper? Do I have to remove ALL the old paint or can I seal the wall and lining paper over?

100_6160_zps4467a715.jpg

100_6161_zps162fb3ed.jpg

Sponsored Links
Depends on thickness of lining paper as to what sins it will hide up .

The more preparation and making good the better the result will be.

The lining paper I have is 1000 grade.

Its one of the thinner grades, so good preparation will help, it may be useful to put a coat/s of cheap white matt emulsion on the wall, prior to lining, this will help to show up any imperfections for a "Second Fill"
Noticed on pictures, that the original paint finish is stripped away in places leaving bare plaster. . When dry and filled apply a coat of thinned paste " size" when dry hang lining paper

Sponsored Links
the paper keeps bubbling badly it is the paint that is reacting to the paste should i repaint the wall or remove the paint

the paper keeps bubbling badly it is the paint that is reacting to the paste should i repaint the wall or remove the paint

Paper not pasted and soaked well enough prior to hanging, Walls not sized,
Paper should shrink when dry, then most of the bubbles should disappear

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back