Preparing wall (Polyfiller / base coat)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Forum,

I'm removing old lining paper as I want to repaint bedroom straight onto walls.

On the whole the walls are not in bad shape, there are the usual hairline cracks and also some areas where a thin skim coat has been applied on the corner of the bay window.

If I were to paint the edges would probably show up but equally I'd prefer not to get the entire wall reskimmed. So I wanted to find out if I should just use Polyfiller to smooth out the edges of the skim and / or apply a base coat?

Also, if I apply a base coat and find some imperfections that I've missed, is it ok to make good with Polyfiller and then apply the top coat? Or does that ruin the final finish?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thanks
Mark

Sponsored Links
honestly, if you are uptight about the standard of the finish then get it skimmed. End-of. Otherwise, yes you can fill, sand, base-coat, re-fill, re-sand, re-paint etc until you are happy-ish.

The last pic looks like you've still got some peeling :( Good luck, going to be a very fiddly job without getting it skimmed!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok. Thanks for the feedback. I'll focus on getting the main bits done and leave this till last. Just wondering if there are any off-the-shelf solutions for basic/ simple home skimming?

Sponsored Links
Orbital sander with fine sanding disc 120g and up. And patience.

You can apply a base coat and fine surface filler over the base coat. It will be near impossible to get it perfect, lining paper having got the wall nearer to sorted might be the way out.

Thing with lining is that by the time youve thrown a day in to lining and picked up the cost of materials its nearly as cheap to get a plasterer in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back