Preparing window-sill ahead of painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need to prepare this window-sill in order to get a smooth finish (will likely be using dulux diamond eggshell since I will have to buy some for the bathroom ceiling).

I was going to post in woodwork but figured it is a decorating problem.

View media item 106314
My thinking is to lightly sand. Use woodfiller for the depressions and then sand for a smooth finish before applying my paint.

It's a 1930s property so I was concerned about lead paint. I've no idea if this is likely to be the original sill. Any advice gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
P120 to give a key to the paint you're applying.

Is the depression due to a build up of paint, or rotten/removed wood?

Blup

P120 to give a key to the paint you're applying.

Is the depression due to a build up of paint, or rotten/removed wood?

Blup
I'm not completely sure.

The crack on the right looks compatible with a normal split in a piece of timber while the depression in the centre looks more like where paint has peeled away unevenly.

I was hoping for some wisdom from the crowds to shed light on the cause and the best way forwards.

Sponsored Links
Yes, it looks like some paint has peeled off at some stage, and someone has painted over it.

That dip needs sanding so you can feather out that nasty edge so it's less obvious.

Before you do, give that dip a bit of a scrape, in case there is more loose or peeling paint.

You could also fill over that dip, and sand it, to remove all trace of it.

Fill all the gaps and splits before you start painting.

(You've already said all this, so you know what you're doing.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back