Prepping wall prior to painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've been reading through a lot of old posts on here about this but conflicting info read elsewhere (and people in my ear who think they know what they are doing) has left me a little confused - really hope someone can point me in the right direction ;)

I'm decorating my sons room in our 10yr old house, all walls are currently painted with one wall (around 3m) having wallpaper over the top. I removed the paper with the help of some B&Q wallpaper remover but two of the sections lifted some or all of the paint underneath with it.

wall.jpg

I have very average DIY experience and have never come across this before, however i'm pretty certain that even after sanding down the edges of the paint and putting a few coats of PBW matt emulsion ahead of the new light blue paint, i'm going to see bumps where the plaster and paint meet underneath.

Initially I thought i'd just go and get some un-embossed lining paper and put that up first to paint over the top of but i'm nervous that i'll see the joining marks throught he paint.

After reading on here about Easi-Fill i'm thinking that is the way to go... but am nervous as i've never even heard of it let alone used it. Assuming you make it up with water (looks like the bag is powder.. maybe wrong) do I just do the following:

1) Sand down the edges of the paint patches
2) Clean the wall - with just water? All the paper is off but some of the wall is slimy when wet from the old paste so assume that all needs to come off somehow
3) Use Easi-Fill on the bare plaster patches (thinly) up to the paint patches - whats the best way to apply this? I normally use a plastic spreader with poly-fill for holes but they are pretty small..
4) Sand down the Easi-Fill - and the paint to make sure the surface is the same rough/smoothness on the whole wall?
5) Clean the wall again with something
6) Apply a mist coat which I think is just watered down matt emulsion - once or twice.
7) Paint.

I just dont know what to do now... line the wall or the above - i'm not worried about doing the extra work as long as the outcome is a great deal better, and I know when I come to decorate again i'm going to be faced with the same dilemma if I dont sort it now.

Any guidance would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Dan.

Sponsored Links
Polycell do a product just for this task which is pretty neat, allbeit quite expensive - ended up using that and I now have a nice smooth wall ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back