Pressure reducing valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am having a new thermostatic shower installed and reading the installation instructions it states that if I get more than 1.2 gallons in 30seconds from my cold water tap I shouldm have a pressure reducing valve fitted immediatley after my main stopcock.

On testing my cold tap I was able to get over 16pints in 30seconds which I think is 2 gallons. It states that if a pressue reducing valve fitted the valve will be noisey. I already have a thermostatic shower fitted in my main bathroom and that does cause the pipes in the house to be noisey. I have a combination boiler so will fitting a pressure reducing valve at the main inlet affect its operation? Would it not be possible to install a pressure reducing valve just to the cold inlet to the shower or would this still cause the pipes/valve to be noisey.

Sponsored Links
This could mean your cold pressure would be different to your hot. The pressure reducing valve should go close to but after the main. Then install a shock arrestor expansion vessel after this which allows the hot water produced from the combi to expand down the cold and not be affected by any non-return valve within the pressure reducing device. It will also help to eliminate noise.

Can someone tell me what the inlet pressure is if I get 16 pints in 30secs from the kitchen tap or is that a daft question. I have a vaillant 837 ecotec plus combi boiler and my concern is that if a reduce the pressure of the inlet supply to accommodate the shower valves it will adversley affect the operation of the boiler. Or is it that my pressure is so high at the moment that it will have no affect on the boiler if I reduce the pressure.

After a bit of reasearch I've worked out that 32pints in a min equates to approx 18litres, my combi can deliver 16litres per min flow rate for the h/w so am I to presume that my mains water flowrate is near to optimum for my boiler. Am I right in thinking that if I fit a pressure reducing valve and the flow to the boiler falls below 16litres per min it will adversley affect my boiler flow rate.

The thermostatic shower has a max rating of 5bar but I'm not too sure waht relevance that has to flow rate. It just states that if you obtain more than 1 gallon in 30secs with the kitchen tap on full you will need to fit a pressure reducing valve.

Sponsored Links
Afer doing more searching and reading I'm probably getting more confused. Does fitting a pressure reduicing valve have any affect on the actual flow rate of my system?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back