Pressure Regulator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to get a Pressure Regulator due to high water pressure at home.
The pipe is 1/2" copper.
Ideally reducing the pressure, but maintaining the flow.
Which pressure Regulator would you recommend, and any tips?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Since flow is proportional to pressure, if you reduce the pressure then you will reduce the flow unless you reduce the resistance!

Since flow is proportional to pressure, if you reduce the pressure then you will reduce the flow unless you reduce the resistance!
That seems logical, but I read that a Regulator with a high Cv, would do the best job?
It is all Dutch to me!:(

Sponsored Links
I normally would expect to set one at about 1.5 bar as this is what a typical UK mains pressure is and most taps etc. work well at this pressure.

Perhaps most taps are designed for about 1.5 bar.

In much of the EU the mains pressure is often much higher on average than in the UK.

1.5 bar as this is what a typical UK mains pressure

Have to disagree @Agile , rarely get any water pressure lower than 2.5bar up here in the more northern part of the UK. Even at the end of a long district main. Granted if the dwelling is half way up a valley out in the coutryside, 50 miles away from the nearest main line then the mains may be lower but that's more the exception than the norm.

Well obviously some parts of the UK will differ but around London, where over a quarter of the UK population lives, the typical ground floor supply pressure is usually only about 1.5 bar or less. I do not find much of the Midlands very much better either.

As many London buildings are 2-3-4 floors the pressure on upper floors can be very low indeed. Hence the development of the mains boosting pumps.

With the high cost of housing many people in London live in flats on a single floor of a building. Since combi boilers really need a dynamic pressure of at least 0.5 bar that gives very poor showering.

For proper performance each floor should have its own dedicated supply pipe from the ground floor water mains inlet point. But many do not. Often owners of lower floors try to resist passing pipes through their flats to benefit the upper flats. The old leases were not at all helpful.

My Mother used to live in Cornwall at the end of a mile long lane and then 400m down her own long lane.

She had a plastic 1/2 " supply pipe and although the static pressure could be almost 2 bar the open pipe flow rate was only 2-4 litres per minute.

Fine for her with a large roof tank!

The house was built in 1933 and originally relied on water collection from the flat roof. Built on thick sand no chance of a well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back