Pressure testing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, what pressure should hot and cold pipework be tested to. Would be a polyplumb system with some copper on.

Sponsored Links
polyplumb say 18bar (which I think is madness)

standard is 1.5 x the working pressure. 3bar is the usual working pressure of most modern systems so 7.5bar.

We do them to 10bar on site

USE WATER NEVER EVER EVER USE AIR

Sponsored Links

standard is 1.5 x the working pressure. 3bar is the usual working pressure of most modern systems so 7.5bar.

I'd check your maths dear boy. But agreed, use water not air. Air compresses, water doesn't. Plus a drop (leak) on a water test is easier to detect.

James.

16Bar is standard on plastic systems installed in new build houses.
Though I understand 3x the working pressure is the acceptable test.

You'd be amazed at the leaks that can still appear after a 16bar test. You'd never credit a nail through a plastic pipe would stand 16bar, but it does..... ;)

I'd check your maths dear boy. But agreed, use water not air. Air compresses, water doesn't. Plus a drop (leak) on a water test is easier to detect.

James.

Nothing wrong with an air pressure test, it's quick & reliable. But for whole house tests we'd always use a hydronic water test.

Polyplumb is an "O" Ring first style of fitting that requires a higher test pressure than those that have the grip first.
The Grey Polyplumb fitting should be tested to 18 bar and also a low pressure test say .5 bar, the reason for this is:-

There is a higher insertion force required and more chance of the pipe not being inserted full socket, the pipe might not fully engage on the grip ring and could potentially blow out and cause a "Full Bore" leak.
The low pressure test would show any small weeps when the fittings are "Relaxed" such as a bit of swarf or a score in the pipe under the "O" ring.

The fittings that have the "Grip" first generally need testing to 1.5 times the maximum working pressure.

Always make sure any taps, shower valves etc are ok with these pressures otherwise you will need to isolate them.

Whatever people may say on here, Always use a water test, never air.
With air if you have a small weep it will be much more difficult to locate than with water.
Also and more importantly Air can be compressed and if a fitting blows off under compressed air it would be like an air gun going off and potentially very dangerous

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back