Pressure treated timber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have this rough cut timber and I wanted to sand/route it so taking the surface off - will it no longer be protected for use outside?

If not what would you recommend to paint it with (i'd be after a wood stain/creaosote type thing)

Sponsored Links
In a word yes. The pressure treatment only forces the tanalising fluid into the timber a few millimetres which is why decent yards offer you Tanalith or the like to terat cut ends. The modern stuff is nowhere near as vhazardous as the old treatments of 5 to 10 years back but I'd advise you to wear breathing protection whilst you're cutting it. If it kills bugs it might not be so wonderful for your lungs.

Talalised timber needs to be left 3 to 6 months or so to dry out after it's been treated otherwise stains can be a bit patchy. A standard stain such as that done by Ronseal works well and lasts

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back