Pressure Washer advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Karcher pressure washer has let me down after just 15 months of ownership and light use, this is my fourth Karcher model the first two lasted ten years between them and in the last two years I have had two break on me, the problem is that when the trigger isnt pressed in, the unit pulsates and leaks water internally......as my previous one did that Karcher blamed on frost damage. The current one has been inside our heated for the autumn/winter months much to the annoyance of the wife, so that the same problem (in theory) didnt happen again!!! but as said above it has happened again, so I am currently seeing what Karcher say to this problem (not expecting them to say much). ANYWAY there are alternatives to KARCHER, such as nilfisk but are they any good ?
If I have to buy a new one (99% i wll) i have noticed that Karcher do a 2/3 year warrantey on these new water cooled motor types that are supposed to be more reliable. do you guys have any experience of these type of pressure washer

Sponsored Links
Loads of experience mate and its the cheapo plastic pump head that cracks internally. Costs around £10 to £15.
The secret with these domestic machines is to run them for a maximum of 10 minutes, and then rest them for 10.....really!
Nilfisk are canny machines (spares not as easily available though, I find) - they used to be made by KEW.
John :)

Not to sure about Nilfisk?

Would have thought Karcher was better on after sales, sounds like a lazy pressure stitch. But, you ain't going for another one after that service, are you?

We have an old Kew, bullet proof, not sure about the new stuff from them?
Might be worth s try?

http://www.cleaningmachinerykew.co.uk/coldwashers/index.htm

Or cable tie the trigger open, wouldn't be the first one

Loads of experience mate and its the cheapo plastic pump head that cracks internally. Costs around £10 to £15.

Is it a simple diy job to replace ? :eek:

Sponsored Links
The pressure washer repair industry tend to sneer at these DIY jobbies - which is often fair enough as an £80 machine won't be a cost effective repair.
The confusing part is that Karcher have hundreds of models but many bits (like the aforementioned pump head) are interchangable.

Is it a simple diy job to replace ? :eek:

Yep, replacement isn't a bother really, so long as you can exhume the motor from the plastic surrounds!
On the top of the motor the pump head is held on by allen screws, clamped down by a stainless bracket - usually triangular.
The 'o' rings will survive, but sometimes the 3 valve chambers can pull apart so care is needed. On some models the pump head has other bits that simply push on - they don't come with the new bit.
Have a look at old faithful E-Spares for a pic of the (typical) part.

Thanks for the great advice, I did try to take apart the frost damaged one, and it sounds as if I did indeed pull the valve chambers apart as its started to get oily and complicated :oops: , If I get no joy out of Karcher (as if I will) I think ill have a go at repairing this one, as Ill have nothing to loose.......Thanks again for sharing your knowledge!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back