Presurised cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My plumber recently installed an Ariston presurised indirect cylinder for me. When he came to do it he replaced a 3 way valve (think he called this a y plan) with two 2 way vavles, one that came with the system and one that I bought. After he had finished I sat down and tried to understand why the need for 2 valves. I do not have any zones split up...Am I missing something? If so could someone point me to any diagrams that might clear this up.

Sponsored Links
The unvented needs a qualified person to install it as they can explode and demolish a building.

Its not necessary for you to understand how it works but if you had to then read the installation book with the cylinder.

An unvented has to have a spring return to closed valve as part of the safety protection devices.

It is possible to fit it on a system with a three port valve but its easier and becomes a standard layout to use a second two port.

Tony

Agile said:
The unvented needs a qualified person to install it as they can explode and demolish a building.

Its not necessary for you to understand how it works but if you had to then read the installation book with the cylinder.

An unvented has to have a spring return to closed valve as part of the safety protection devices.

It is possible to fit it on a system with a three port valve but its easier and becomes a standard layout to use a second two port.

Tony

Thanks tony. Didn't install it myself but like to understand things when they are done. Still dont understand what two two port valves will do that the 3 port wouldn't do?

eric35red said:
Agile said:

Tony

Thanks tony. Didn't install it myself but like to understand things when they are done. Still dont understand what two two port valves will do that the 3 port wouldn't do?

because if a two port valve fails the it will shut and thus stop any water flowing through the cylinders control

whereas a three port valve when it fails fails to hot water open and still allows water to circulate through the coil

as agile says this is a safety feature

Sponsored Links
like the OP I don't know why the installer changed the 3port mid possition valve, it certainly wasn't necessary and an added expense.

As per the manufactureres instructions, the mid possition valve operates as normal, and the 2 port supplied with the unit is an added safety device controlled via the thermal cutout.

Quite so. Probably just another plumber frightened of unfamiliar wiring!

corgiman said:
be honest it is a bit fiddly

better to s plan the b*****r

You don't need to touch the existing wiring.

The new supplied zone valve simply connects through the thermal cut-out. :LOL:

easy tiger

I have only done it twice and cocked it up twice, please dont ask me how cos I have had four ciders and am now away with the fairies YAY ;)

so I just whop an s plan on now easy peezy

:)

corgiman said:
easy tiger

I have only done it twice and cocked it up twice, please dont ask me how cos I have had four ciders and am now away with the fairies YAY ;)

so I just whop an s plan on now easy peezy

:)

I have never done it, we have our own electrician for the sparky bits ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back