Preventing Damp From Central Heating Pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am in the process of renovating a house and the existing internal render is just falling off the walls. A builder I know says it is because they used to use lime in the render and that is contributing to the failure.

Rather than 'bodge' it I am going to chip all of the existing render off and replace it. I was thinking of improving the insulation at the same time and replacing the render with Thermaline Plus insulated plasterboard on the internal face of the external walls.

I am thinking of hiding the central heating pipes (which are being replaced too) behind the plasterboard by notching out the insulation.

My question is, as the pipes will be behind the plasterboard and I have notched out the vapour control provided by the polystyrene, will I have to do anything to prevent a damp problem caused by the heat from the central heating pipes.

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Actually damp might not be the best word to use.

I am looking to prevent a possible build-up of condensation.
I have looked up a few posts that mention vapour control and having warm air and cold air meeting etc and I would like to know if anyone thinks that having the hot pipes behind the plasterboard (effectively on the cold side of the wall/insulation) might cause any problems with condensation.

Thanks again :)

No, heat does not cause condensation, rather it will evaporate away any moisture lurking there. Its when the heating is turned off and the pipes are full of cold water that beads of condensation could form on the pipes.
Main problem is keeping the plaster off the pipes by wrapping them in PVC tape, else the chlorides in the plaster could pin hole the pipes.
Frank

Sponsored Links
Hi theprinceofdarkness,
Thanks for your response,
That's great, there shouldn't be any contact with plaster as the plasterboard will be forming like a bridge over the pipes with the insulation either side. As long as I am not going to be introducing a problem that is great news.

Many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back