Price cap

OT but related. If the UK was prepared to heavily invest in wind and tidal energy generating solutions, what % of our total energy requirement would they serve? When I say heavily invest, I mean having these things dotted all around the UK coast where conditions allow.

I read in the FT recently that Germany currently provides 40% of electricity from renewables, and is targetting 60% in a plan accelerated since Russia started the war with Ukraine.

Making a pretty good effort.

Though they do not have our advantages of tidal, wave and offshore resources.

Sponsored Links
Sadly it will never happen because it would upset the corrupt 'status quo' of those running the show!
I'm not one for conspiracy theories however it doesn't take a massive stretch of the imagination to conclude there are many people with a vested interest in not accelerating the increased use of renewables.

The cost of a Severn tidal barrage being less than the cost of a single nuclear power plant and supplying 7% of the UK's energy needs isn't a heavy investment in the grand scheme of things...
I'd be cautious about costing projects ahead fo time if I was you. There are also various ideas about where and how, Nothing gets really settled until some one says go and even then it may be wrong. It appears that the Swansea Lagoon is seen as a pilot study to see how things go.

120years life - designing for that sort of life span these days is unusual. The barrier maybe - turbines I wonder.

I'm not one for conspiracy theories however it doesn't take a massive stretch of the imagination to conclude there are many people with a vested interest in not accelerating the increased use of renewables.

some say that many old people are members of the RSPB and value the habitats of wading birds higher than the habital of human earthlings. As Patel and Sunak would tell you, if they were truthful, winning the votes of elderly conservatives is the key to power.

Sponsored Links
Okay I'm going into cloud cuckoo land now, however it would be very interesting to see how governments and major energy industry players would react if someone discovered how to generate essentially free energy at extremely low cost. I expect they would try to buy (and bury) the idea off the inventor ... or just bury the inventor!

I read in the FT recently that Germany currently provides 40% of electricity from renewables, and is targetting 60% in a plan accelerated since Russia started the war with Ukraine.

35%, 27% if you take away biomass which is dirtier than coal.

some say that many old people are members of the RSPB and value the habitats of wading birds higher than the habital of human earthlings. As Patel and Sunak would tell you, if they were truthful, winning the votes of elderly conservatives is the key to power.
we have lost over 90% of our wetlands this past century, wildlife that rely on these areas are either in serious decline or verging on extinction - would you really be happy that we done that ? it is very sad if you are.

The cost of a Severn tidal barrage being less than the cost of a single nuclear power plant and supplying 7% of the UK's energy needs isn't a heavy investment in the grand scheme of things...

It also would have a longer lifespan, and not require the endless spending of tens of billions required to decommission nuclear plants...

And it's a guaranteed source of energy...
Similarly there is a proposed bridge across Morecambe Bay with tidal generation built in. It would save much fuel and emissions by cutting journey times. The scheme has always seemed far- fetched to me but if feasible would be a better use of money than HS2 or giving billions to immigrants....

One of your mates here Notch...

Why do you feel the need to make totally unsubstantiated slurs against other posters?
I know the answer, just looking for your explanation. Like another poster, who resorts to such untrue and offensive ad hominem attacks, you think it's perfectly acceptable.

... a better use of money than ... giving billions to immigrants....
I suspect that UK spends far more on trying to prevent asylum seekers reaching UK, or trying to off-shore them to somewhere else, or looking for ways to deny them asylum, or fermenting hatred against them, than it ever "gives to immigrants".

OT but related. If the UK was prepared to heavily invest in wind and tidal energy generating solutions, what % of our total energy requirement would they serve? When I say heavily invest, I mean having these things dotted all around the UK coast where conditions allow.
It depends on how much you want to spend and how far out you go. With relatively new floating turbines you can build in much deeper water so there isn't a technical limit. It just gets expensive with longer cable runs.

We're working down the list of regions with shallow water, good wind and near grid connections.

We aren't heavily investing at all in Wind turbines or tidal at the moment. With recent prices they're dragging down electricity prices and the government doesn't invest in them in the same way we are for things like Sizewell C (£1.7 Billion!).

Tidal is negligible at the moment btw. There's potential but we choose not to invest.

There's potential but we choose not to invest.
You need to get your head around ideas, feasibility and high levels of investment. You wont get the latter without certainty.

Ideas have been looked at with very small studies. Wave power for instance. The Swansea Lagoon is a study at an entirely different level. I think the link I posted gives expenses so far. Work like this is needed to see if larger is viable.

Nuke has an advantage - it's well understood including it's problems.

Swansea has been studied in depth, and then the evaluation by the government was structured in a way to force it to fail. When you've got to amortise a facility over 30 years instead of the designed lifespan of 120 years then the costs are pretty brutal. We've chosen not to invest.

a better use of money than HS2
You see it that way as you don't understand the need. It's pretty simple really - future carrying capacity. That is too tough an idea of some to take in and if they don't see why that is needed there is no point in arguing about it.

Sponsored Links
Back