Prices

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi just after a bit of advice regarding how much to charge. I have been asked to install 4 down lighters and two sockets in a garage that is having half of it converted into a usable space. There is already an rcd protected dis board in the garage and already has a socket outlet and lighting. The plasterer is coming at the end of the week so it is blank canvass. I am a fully qualified spark, its just I work for a contracting firm and have no idea regarding pricing. Help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links

How can anybody tell? We haven't visited the site.

Is the garage part of the property, or detatched?
Is there a room above
Is the ceiling a fire rated one
Are the circuits you will be providing/extending protected by 30mA RCD(s)
IS the Main earth and equipotential bonding in place and in accordance with the current issue of BS7671

etc
etc
etc

Is the conversion under building controls? As it is likely the electrical work is notifiable and this would incur a fee on application, this fee could be swallowed up by the conversion application fee, if there is one?
You can figure out the material cost yourself, as you should be aware of the fixtures your client wants and the length of runs for cable etc... and a bit of googling to QVS or TLC or screwfix will give you a good idea on those prices, so then it's down to labour, this will depend on the difficulty of the location you are working in but you say blank canvas, you could consider an hourly rate or a price.
Prices will vary from area to area but i'll take a stab at approx for adding to existing circuits at about £75-100 for labour.

I work on the following.
Price of all bits per socket. switch, sfcu etc. Includes flush mounting box, grommet, raw plugs, screws and of course the switch etc. Costs x to buy. Add mark up and this is the cost of each fitting. Add on the cost of the cable and then the labour time. Thats how I price. Hope it helps

Sponsored Links
Thanks for speedy replies. I was thinking about £150 which for this I would include all fiirst fix and socket fronts and switches the only extra would be the cost of the downlights.

Thanks for speedy replies. I was thinking about £150 which for this I would include all fiirst fix and socket fronts and switches the only extra would be the cost of the downlights.

Very reasonable...

That's what you can afford to charge when you're not paying tax or insurance

Can anyone explain "mark up" on electrical components? I understand a little for petrol and time (although I expect you have lots of the standard stuff in the van anyway). what sort of % would you charge for markup? :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back