Pricing Thread

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Can someone please advise on reasonable prices for tiling work in the midlands area?

What is the going rate per meter squared? There seems to be a lot of confusion and disagreement on rates from some on the plumbing forums.

Sponsored Links
walls? floors? material type? substrate? need quite a bit more info.

any general rate is going to be broad. between £20 and £50 m2 are the two extremes i see quoted

so far most houses around here are brick wall which has been plastered, and the people here tend to go for ceramic tiles of varying sizes.

What are the rates for say 33x33 floor tiles?

how about 300x400 wall tiles onto plaster

and the standard smaller 20x25 wall tiles?

many thanks

all of those are the more standard type jobs. i'd expect to see quotes between £20-£30m2

BUT this is a generalisation ignoring lots of factors e,g, it will depend on the intricacy etc. a big flat square floor is very different to an awkward shaped, out of level floor with stuff to cut around.

Sponsored Links
The method of costing depends on the type of work. New build & development site work would most likely be done on a sq/metre basis & could be anything between £25-£50 sq/m depending on the type & size of tiles, fiddly bits - cutting/bevelling tiles takes time, geographical location, how much local work is available & the builder; on a sq/m basis, he WILL be expecting a quick job with no faults.

Refurbishments are somewhat different as they will most likely include a lot of fart asring around; ripping out, remedial works & may include everything to do with the new installation including flooring, plumbing, plastering, tiling, installing the sanitary ware & may include disposal of old materials which isn’t cheap. I only do refurbishments & price the total job on a day rate basis, depending on how many days I think it’s going to take me; I never work for less than £200/day but will add in additional itemised costs for disposal or anything else I spot.

ceramics....£25-£30 m2
stone....£35-£40 m2
mosiac...£45+ m2

but will vary,.. on prep/sealers/ufh/slc...etc ...loads off other things mate but above.. general prices...

there are others out there doing it for alot less tho.....

what you pay for is what you get...

P.S my prices are SLIGHTLY higher....and my clients will wait for me....(pity the wife wont...lol)...

day rates vary as well...strip walls/floors prep etc.. vary alot as well,but whatch what your doing ere there are alot off things you cant see...whats behind/under them walls/floors/tiles etc...sometimes you will be very surprised.

but whatch what your doing ere there are alot off things you cant see...whats behind/under them walls/floors/tiles etc...sometimes you will be very surprised.
On the + side, you will (should) only make that mistake once & hopefully very early on if tiling is your chosen trade! ;)

thanks all for the responses, i appreicate you guys taking time out to advise on pricing etc. Will prove very useful in future. In the past i'd simply quote a price based on looking at the room, not taking into account accurate measurements, fittings, cuts etc.

thanks all for the responses, i appreicate you guys taking time out to advise on pricing etc. Will prove very useful in future. In the past i'd simply quote a price based on looking at the room, not taking into account accurate measurements, fittings, cuts etc.
You've taken a plumbing course if memory serves me right, which has given you a bit of knowledge that what a tradesmen does sometimes has more about it than meets the eye. Just reading posts from pros like tictic should make you wary of taking on any job without experience and possibly training since there's stuff about appropiate substrates, pre-treatment of tiles, correct adhesives and grouts etc etc that you need to at least be aware of. Maybe a few quid spend on some introductory courses or books wouldn't be a bad idea - after all you're going to expect people to pay for your knowledge and application.

but whatch what your doing ere there are alot off things you cant see...whats behind/under them walls/floors/tiles etc...sometimes you will be very surprised.
On the + side, you will (should) only make that mistake once & hopefully very early on if tiling is your chosen trade! ;)

rich
every job is totally diffrent mate re:prep....

the OP as stated the walls etc..around his area..,but whats all ready on them walls??....

tile over tile..
tiles over artex(is this asbestos based)
tiles onto wallpaper so when you strip off,.. the render/facing plaster comes away as well....there are a few others etc....the list is endless(well to a point)... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back