Prima F 30 automatic shutdown

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a Potterton Prima F 30 which I inherited from the previous occupiers. Up to last week, we never had any issues with it.

Now, I have had to become familiar with the reset switch below the dial. The boiler will start up, pilot light and all, and function for 2-3 mns before shutting itself down. Sometimes the reset switch will pop out, sometimes not. It will stay down for a while, start again for a few mns and turn itself off.

I had a plumber over for some unrelated work, and he had to drain the hot water tank twice in as many days. Also, one of the radiators had to be taken out (the valves are shut - and if I open them up water starts to come out). The problems started the very evening after that.

Any idea what might be causing all this? According to the plumber, a missing radiator is unrelated.

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Now, I have had to become familiar with the reset switch below the dial. The boiler will start up, pilot light and all, and function for 2-3 mns before shutting itself down. Sometimes the reset switch will pop out, sometimes not. It will stay down for a while, start again for a few mns and turn itself off.

I'm not in the trade but had a Potterton Prima at a previous house. The button underneath is a safety cut-out and seems to pop out to prevent the boiler overheating. Do you hear a kettle boiling sound at the boiler just before it cuts out?

I had a plumber over for some unrelated work, and he had to drain the hot water tank twice in as many days. Also, one of the radiators had to be taken out (the valves are shut - and if I open them up water starts to come out). The problems started the very evening after that.

I had a similar problem on two occations, one was an air-lock in the system (preventing the water from circulating) and the other after the pump failed.

Has your plumber drained/refilled the central heating (radiators) during the work? - The removal of the radiator 'could' have introduced air into the system, another possibility could be you have a single pipe radiator system, removing the radiator would prevents the flow of water around the CH, thus causing the boiler to overheat / cut out, or as suggested above, check your pump is working.

It always surprises me when a plumber apparently cannot identify a very simple fault.

It sounds as if the pump is not running or there is a very severe airlock possibly caused by a blocked feed pipe.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the help guys.

Indeed, it was the pump. The 'speed selector' had broken down, and the pump wasn't being actived - water wasn't going anywhere.

The pump has been changed, and voila. Heating's back on.

Thanks again - much appreciated!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back