Primer / mist coat came off in patches when removing wallpaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We recently moved into a new house and stripped a bedroom of really thick wallpaper that had also been painted. On taking off the wall paper it has also removed some of the primer / mist coat from the plaster in some quite big patches on two walls (see photos). We want the end finish to just be painted (no paper at all) and wondering what's the best thing to do to prep the walls?

Currently my plan is to...... Fill all the holes etc with filler and then sand all the walls to make smooth as possible and remove any loose remaining paint. Then prime the exposed plaster, then put an emulsion coat on top of everything. Please let me know your thoughts?

Another query is that on two sides of the room there is a gap between the ceiling and walls, so what's the best way to tackle this. Filler or decorating caulk, or something else??

Many thanks,

IMG_1115.JPG
IMG_1116.JPG
IMG_1117.JPG
IMG_1118.JPG
IMG_1119.JPG

Sponsored Links
The plastering is pretty rough.

I would sand the corners as flat as possible. Once flat, I would gun in some Toupret Fibacryl and sponge away the excess. After it has dried and shrunk back, I would then use filler to top if off. Where the paint has come off, you can use filler to patch it. You will need to feather off with something like 180 grit paper

Personally, I would sand everything flat, backfill as required and then use lining paper prior to papering, but that is me

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back