Priming softwood skirting board.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm going to have my first jaunt into the world of skirting boards at the weekend and I know that they need to be primed. Question is, do I have to prime them on both sides and the ends before I put them on or is it OK to just do the face after they're on the wall? Also, what's the best thing to do about knots?

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Only the face(s) that will be painted and showing mate.

Rub down, prime, rub down, prime, rub down, paint, rub down, paint.

That's what the decorators i work with always tell me.

I must admit, i've gotten away with just one coat of each on occasion. But i've since learned to try and be patient and do it the proper way. It really does look better.

either will do

if it is a downstairs, solid (no cavity) wall which might be a bit damp, painting the backs will give a little extra protection.

It is easier and quicker to slap on the primer before you fix them (no need to kneel down and keep dusting)

For knotty wood, I like aluminium wood primer, which gives good protection outdoors as well as sealing knots. However it may be overkill for indoor skirting, you can use various patent knottings.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back