printer connection issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a laptop with Windows 7 and recently bought a new wireless HP printer. After a struggle I got it set up and it worked.... sort of.
Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

After many attempts I've established:

* the printer screen shows "connected"
* the laptop also shows the printer as "connected"
* pressing "print" from Word /Excel (Starter version) error message "printer not found" or printer not connected.

I can print perfectly from within Internet Explorer, or even from the Notepad so both the printer and the wireless network work.

It seems to be Office Starter that is causing problems

a) is this likely/possible?
b) what else can I do/check?

ps - I've read that Firewalls can cause issues, but swiching off the FW does not help.

Sponsored Links
i had terrible trouble setting my hp wireless printer up in the end i set it up using a usb lead and downloaded the updates needed.

on a foot note
the printer wasnt printing the colours properly,the ammount of test pages ect i used.even new cartridges.in the end i phoned hp they done some updates and sent me some free inks,then about 1 mth later same thing,phoned them again and they sent me a new printer out with complete new inks.
so perservere but be aware there might be a problem with your printer.

Some possible solutions here.
Many thanks - seems I am not alone.

Seems to be a Wndows 7 problem.

The only 'succesful' fix (for one user) seemd to involve moving from 64 bit to 32 bit (or vice verse) but as that is double-dutch to me I'm none the wiser!

Gregers:
had terrible trouble setting my hp wireless printer up in the end i set it up using a usb lead and downloaded the updates needed.
Was your problem the same? What updates did you get from HP? I'm still pretty convinced this is a Windows issue as other progammes print fine.

Sponsored Links
Using hp wireless with XP and have no problems at all, occasionally loose connection with the Mac though.

mike

all i done was plug lead from printer to laptop,then go on hp website and do any downloads that was required to do.once done restarted lappy with lead unpluged,then set up with pass code etc from router and it worked as it should,as said i did end up having a new printer sent to me as there was a problem with my orriginal printer.

Got so fed up with HP printer going off network, losing connection, applying critical updates which didn't cure the problem in Win7 - I chucked the rubbish away and got a Canon Pixma MX885 - cost £153.88 - sheer joy,
the printer works, the scanner works, the fax works, the network works

Get yourself a cure for your headache!!!!!

PS the USB connection worked BUT I bought a network printer so I didn't have to switch all my computers on to use the printer - it is a known problem and I found a cure that really does work.......

Sponsored Links
Back