Private accommodation locks.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, just need some advice we have no locks on our doors but the landlord had said he will allow us to fit locks but we will have to pay for them. I Have attached a image of the handle currently on the door. Is there any way of changing the current handle into a lock, or any other easy way of adding a lock to the door. I am quiet handy with tools etc, so will do this myself. Any easy ideas on locking my door when I am away? Or anyone in Kingston area willing to do it for me for a good price? Please let me know.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
The problem is the cheap hollow doors, very little to fix a lock too.
You might be able to fit a locking bolt externally but nothing will be very secure due to the weak door.

The problem is the cheap hollow doors, very little to fix a lock too.
You might be able to fit a locking bolt externally but nothing will be very secure due to the weak door.

Hi mate it's a fire door, not a cheap hollow door. What lock could i fit?

Sponsored Links
Just a thought but is this shared accommodation? If it is then does not the landlord have an obligation to provide lockable doors for each of his tenants?

It is not Hmo landlord will not put locks on as the property came without locks.

Mortise dead lock would be an option , that way you can keep those handles.

I was thinking that. How much would fitting cost?

Tends to be what is called in the trade "a five minute job" which is a bit of an exaggeration but even the slowest chippy in the world should fit one in half an hour. I don't know so can't comment on rates in surrey but perhaps anywhere between £15 -25 . There could be a minimum charge or callout fee so check first , maybe a local handyman could fit it at a reasonable cost.
Oh and should you prefer the Yale type of lock fitting should be around the same as for a mortise lock.

if it is not an HMO, why do you need to lock the internal doors?

Mortise dead lock would be an option , that way you can keep those handles.

I was thinking that. How much would fitting cost?

Tends to be what is called in the trade "a five minute job" which is a bit of an exaggeration but even the slowest chippy in the world should fit one in half an hour. I don't know so can't comment on rates in surrey but perhaps anywhere between £15 -25 . There could be a minimum charge or callout fee so check first , maybe a local handyman could fit it at a reasonable cost.
Oh and should you prefer the Yale type of lock fitting should be around the same as for a mortise lock.

Many thanks for the reply, i will ring around and see what price I get. Thank you

Anyone in the Surrey area looking to fit a lock for a good price for me please?

I love with friends

How amicable! "Keep your friends close..."

We had a different policy in our flat: door open = walk in, door closed = walk away. could work for you, especially if (as you say) they're friends

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back