Private accommodation locks.

i was standing in a lock/key supplier last year and another customer came in wanting a 3lever mortice lock fitted to a door,and they quoted supply and fit nearly £100,bejesus there on a good screw.

Sponsored Links
I love with friends

How amicable! "Keep your friends close..."

We had a different policy in our flat: door open = walk in, door closed = walk away. could work for you, especially if (as you say) they're friends

Haha sorry meant live! Some seem to understand that and some seem to knock and enter the door without me telling me to come in. Plus I have other personal papers in my room and would prefer to lock my door when I am away.

I would steer away from fitting a Yale lock because it is all too easy to lock yourself out of your room and speaking as a landlord myself I have had many a late call from tenants requesting a visit with my keys, which is of course going to cost them. A deadlock will be best without the need to change the handles or a mortice lock chopped in and the new longer handle would cover the old screw holes so would still look ok.

I would steer away from fitting a Yale lock because it is all too easy to lock yourself out of your room and speaking as a landlord myself I have had many a late call from tenants requesting a visit with my keys, which is of course going to cost them. A deadlock will be best without the need to change the handles or a mortice lock chopped in and the new longer handle would cover the old screw holes so would still look ok.

Which mortice lock would you recommend?

Sponsored Links
i was standing in a lock/key supplier last year and another customer came in wanting a 3lever mortice lock fitted to a door,and they quoted supply and fit nearly £100,bejesus there on a good screw.

I have rang a few "handymen" and one quoted 40£ while the other said 60£ but steep for not that much of a job.

the FD door is probably made of rough chipboard with a smooth skin. I find chip quite hard to mortice out, it will blunt your chisels. A pro may use a router with jig which will be quicker and probably neater.

You can get a good 5-lever deadlock at Wickes or Screwfix at a low price, or a 3 lever will be cheaper, but not as good. You probably don't need a BS lock.
http://www.screwfix.com/search?search=deadlock#sort_by=price
http://www.wickes.co.uk/search?q=deadlock:price-asc
Wickes own-brand are made by ERA which is a fair make. Union perhaps is better.

Older FD door linings often have deep rebates or stops so you may need a 3" case.

If you get a sashlock it will have the latch as well as lock, but you will need a new lever handle with a longer plate to include a keyhole.

the FD door is probably made of rough chipboard with a smooth skin. I find chip quite hard to mortice out, it will blunt your chisels. A pro may use a router with jig which will be quicker and probably neater.

You can get a good 5-lever deadlock at Wickes or Screwfix at a low price, or a 3 lever will be cheaper, but not as good. You probably don't need a BS lock.
http://www.screwfix.com/search?search=deadlock#sort_by=price
http://www.wickes.co.uk/search?q=deadlock:price-asc
Wickes own-brand are made by ERA which is a fair make. Union perhaps is better.

Older FD door linings often have deep rebates or stops so you may need a 3" case.

If you get a sashlock it will have the latch as well as lock, but you will need a new lever handle with a longer plate to include a keyhole.

John many thanks for the reply, I think I will be getting the 3 lever mortice dead lock without the latch. Only because it will be less work to install the lock. I will be leaving these promise in a few months anyway so not much point investing it something expensive, as much as I would love to its not worth it. Just need to find someone to install or try installing it myself.

even easier,get a hasp and staple and a padlock to ock your room up for when you are not there,and a tower bolt on the iside for when you are.

I have rang a few "handymen" and one quoted 40£ while the other said 60£ but steep for not that much of a job.

Out of interest were those prices supply and fit or just to fit? Did you specify the type of lock when you asked because if it's supplying the lock there tends to be a noticeable price difference between 3 and 5 lever locks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back