Private vs council Building control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For our new extension build, our architect suggested that I also have the option to go with private BC, unsure if that’s better option other than slightly cost effective? Appreciate your views.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
All my projects are now private BC. Lots of reasons but really just more professional.

The council bods think it's their god given right to be there and they aren't funded directly like private.

Private know you have a choice to use or not use them and if you don't use them they don't get paid, so they will be more interested in being pragmatic and getting the job done to an acceptable standard rather then making you jump through hoops just because they can.

Private will also have a lot less internal red tape/politics/overheads to deal with.

As per jeds and rjm - private every time.

Employing LABC is like paying to have your backside kicked. One of the perks of their job is looking for imaginary problems, dumping them in your builder's lap, and then walking away.

They live on a different planet.

Sponsored Links
As per jeds and rjm - private every time.

Employing LABC is like paying to have your backside kicked. One of the perks of their job is looking for imaginary problems, dumping them in your builder's lap, and then walking away.

They live on a different planet.

If there is nothing wrong with the work why would they kick your backside ?
Privates are also good at doing desktop site visits via builders photos.

If there is nothing wrong with the work why would they kick your backside ?

In my book, there are Regulations, and regulations.

I've always believed that the most important aspects of a build are 1. structural safety; 2. fire safety and 3. staircase/falling issues.

But when I see LABC people get the tape measure out and start measuring the thickness of insulation or the length of a waste pipe; or ask for SAP calcs if they think a window is a little too big, then it's time to go private.

Nope still not convinced, if the job is right what is the problem.
So what you are saying is AIs are your choice as they "might" sign off works that don't comply with the regs?

Nope still not convinced, if the job is right what is the problem.
So what you are saying is AIs are your choice as they "might" sign off works that don't comply with the regs?

What I am saying is that AIs seem to live on planet earth, while LABC people too often come across as condescending and in some cases a little hostile.
Some forget that they are supposed to be providing a service. But in the end, every council inspector who is difficult only hastens the day when LABC will disappear for good.

I was utterly amazed at what the private guy let my neighbour's builder get away with. I can see the benefits for builders but as a home owner I'd rather use an inspector that goes by the book.

This issue will always be divisive; take a look at past threads..
Facts:
Council, you pay less money and don't get to pick your guy. Job security unrelated to how he treats his customers
Private, you pay more money and get to pick your guy. Job security directly related to how he treats his customers

Given that you have to work with this person, ask around people who've used both breed in your area and choose which way to jump

Council, you pay less money and don't get to pick your guy. Job security unrelated to how he treats his customers
Not necessarily, you know that since private inspectors were allowed council BC teams have to run at a profit, as they face direct competition from the private sector.

My private bloke treats the job exactly the same as local authority except he lives in the real world. How local authority BC survives is beyond me the way they behave. Phone at 8.30 they're not there. Phone again at 9.00 - not there. Phone at 9.30 - in a meeting. Phone at 10.00 gone out. Repeat the process at 3.00, 3.30, 4.00 then to be told they've gone home. They never call you back and you're not allowed to have their mobile numbers. It's ridiculous, It's like they're some sort of secret service. If I want to meet my bloke on site at 2.00pm on Thursday - he's there. If the contractors want him on site to inspect so they can pour concrete - he's there. None of this between 9.00 and 4.00pm nonsense.

Not necessarily, you know that since private inspectors were allowed council BC teams have to run at a profit, as they face direct competition from the private sector.

Interesting. Have any LABC departments gone bust since this all began? Could they even?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back