Private Work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
May seem like a silly question but whats the best way about getting private work? I've had business cards made which Ive handed out to all the local letting agents and also had an ad in the paper over the summer for 6 weeks (didnt get 1 call from that!!), but not really getting a lot of work

Im getting married next year so need as much work as poss, so any advice is appreciated

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
if it gets really bad , call an agency. then you can do work for them and maybe build a customer base from those jobs.

Sponsored Links
im in full time employment though, or will they just be giving me odd jobs here and there? Do you mean like temping agencies?

i thought you had gone it alone.you can try the agencies.dont suppose people mind having work done at weekends.you should get loads of weekend work, because all the engineers i know dont work them.

In the longer term you need your directory advertising.

In the shoirt term start imediately a series of local paper adverts. Keep a consistent small one because people who want a plumber will have one week subconsciously seen your add, so will buy a paper to find you, if you are not in that week you lost the job.

If you don't get a response you have chosen the wrong career for your area.

I wouldn't touch landlords and estate agents with a barge poll in your position.. you want to work for the individual who owns the house, get paid on completion and not get a whole load of hastle which you will get working in a home with tenants.

Get some estimate forms printed with disclaimers on the back, no matter how small the job itemise it and get it signed for before you start.

On the back you need to state if lino is damaged pulling out washing machine so you can do your work this is the customers responsibility. They may then if they wish pull it out themselves. Whereas every care will be taken to change parts such as an immersion heater, a great deal of force is required, the condition of the cylinder might be such that this amount of force exerted can cause leaks elsewhere and may entail a new cylinder which would be chargeable. Whenb servicing a back boiler it is not always possible to prevent clouds of soot settling on furniature, whereas we shall sheet up the imediate area it is the customers responsibility to ensure that any furniature in the room is protected and/or cleaned afterwards ETC ETC ETC. BECAUSE if you don't then you will be hung drawn and quatered for all of these situations and you will end up paying out more than you made for the job.

I am now getting loads of private work, i 've had cards made up that i hand out to customers (my private customers and not the company's that i work for), word of mouth and recommendations did it for me. I also go about my private work as if it was a legit business - stay proffessionl and they see even more value in your service.

Failing that go down the pub more - there is always someone who needs a plumber in there.

just be careful in doingf this do you have Public Liability insurance?? if not get it asap, if you make a mistake and flood a place they are going to come at you for the damage!! not saying that you will but everyone makes mistakes

also if you are RGI under your firms CORGI, you are not reg'd in your own right, so get reg'd

Also I expect that you will be doing this work for "cash" again excercise caution as you are commiting a criminal offence if you do not inform HM customs and revenue of this income (of course they have to find out, and believe me there are people that will dob you in, not to mention HMCR also have secret shoppers in most areas, in as the missus is a tax inspector, so we are hoping the boy will become a estate agent and then we will be the most popular family on our street :) ) so play safe and declare it

Sorry to be a killjoy, but i expect you will not heed my warnings anyway

corgiman doesnt pay much tax then.bet you claim for every post you put on here and the wear and tear of the arse of your pants. :LOL: :LOL:

fitz1 said:
corgiman doesnt pay much tax then.bet you claim for every post you put on here and the wear and tear of the a**e of your pants. :LOL: :LOL:

I WISH

she is a bugger with my return I can tell you ;)

seriously she cannot touch it as its a conflict of interest, now matter how many times i ask her to hit the delete button on my account she says no

:)

send me his number now

:):):):):):)

bloody tax men

gits all of em (spect the fragrant mrs cm of course)

The next year he`ll charge 456 then 567 then 678ad infinitum ...I know how they work :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back