Problem fitting hot cylinder take-off flange

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks hope someone can advise me here:

I'm trying to fit a Techflange to my hot water cylinder (open system) to feed a shower pump. To do this I need to drill a hole in the side of the tank a couple of inches below the top seam.

Problem is I can't get the immersion heater out in order to siphon off water to below where the hole needs drilling. It's stuck fast. There's no drain cock on the tank.

Best solution I've come up with so far is to use a hand drill to make a small hole in the side of the tank where the bottom of the flange hole will be and catch the resulting jet in a bucket. Crude and a bit of a no-return option!

There is also the option of trying to remove the tank's top take-off flange, which I haven't tried yet. Would that be a better idea (I'm wary of busting the tank if that's stuck too), or is there something else I could try?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Undo the top take off pipe and insert a hose, then syphon out as much as you need to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back