Problem in setting gate posts in water (high water table)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a high water table approx. 50cm below surface meaning that the bottom of the gate post will be sitting in water. I have not found any guide as to how to overcome this. I really need the posts need to be wood, would this actually be a problem as this is quite deep? I was thinking about using either 15cmx15cm tanalised posts or maybe 10x20cm oak sleepers. Would either/neither be suitable and is there anything I should do regarding the water table?

Sponsored Links
These will hold up driveway gates so will definitely be held in concrete. I've read that you should not cover the bottom end in concrete to allow for drainage but as it will be sitting in water anyway then should I just concrete (postcrete) under the bottom anyway? Should I coat the post that's submerged in bitumen and would the oak sleeper be a better choice or does it not matter?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Wooden posts rarely fail due to rot beneath the ground, rather they rot at a specific point just at ground level.
All wooden posts.

Just set them in concrete and take your chances. Personally, if it is longevity you are after, forget wood.

Use a concrete spur that is concreted into the ground, then bolt this to the timber post above ground. Have the spur on the rear on the post, out of view from the outside.

Andy

there's no place for a spur unfortunately. Noseall has said what I thought about rotting occurring at ground level, I'm just unsure why everyone goes to great lengths saying you mustn't concrete all the way down if it doesn't really rot there anyway.

Can I place a gate post next to a concrete fence post in the ground so that they have concrete go around them together rather? The gate is at the end of a run of fences.

Last edited:
Could use metal tubes, concreted in, boxed with wood leaving 1" gap to ground, drill through wood and post to fix - last forever.

-0-

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean.
The gates are 90cm high 300cm wide (2x150) and are chunky soft wood.

I've got loads of these plastic pouch things at work that you wrap around timber posts that stops them from rotting in the ground. Pay the postage and you can have some free.

That's kind, thanks. How do they seal to the wood so the water doesn't run down them? Would this be better than bitumen paint?

Erm I have no idea we found them in the skip! I'll read the instructions when I'm back in work on Tuesday.

Could use metal tubes, concreted in, boxed with wood leaving 1" gap to ground, drill through wood and post to fix - last forever.

-0-

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean.
The gates are 90cm high 300cm wide (2x150) and are chunky soft wood.

I would have suggested what Empip has done - concrete in a metal or concrete post as your gate post.
Using soft wood that matches your gates, make a box around the metal or concrete post.
Your gate post will then be metal or concrete i.e. very long-lasting, but will look like timber.

My only comment is based on the ancient oak posts I struggled to remove. Above ground they were falling apart. Below ground and in the water table they were in very good condition even though saturated and swollen. Hence I believe that good quality timber can be set in soil below the water table and they will not rot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back