Problem laying engineered floor boards...

I

imamartian

I'm about to lay a floor at the weekend, and i'm assuming the boards will be those that slot in to the previous board at 45deg and then press flat to the floor to lock.

My problem is that on three sides of the room there are heating pipes which are low and will impede the boards laying flat.

It's obviously fine when i start, but how do i lay the last boards? and what about the pipes along the side wall ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
THE reason we stick to T&G - too often there are too low radiator-pipes running around the room to get the angle of a click-system working. You'll have to cut off part of the system to get those pieces in, making it the "weakest link" in your floor.

Stick to T&G is my advice

although it is one of the better videos I've seen on installing a floating floor, I can't see how this has answered your question in regards of the last rows with click-systems and low pipes?

Sponsored Links
although it is one of the better videos I've seen on installing a floating floor, I can't see how this has answered your question in regards of the last rows with click-systems and low pipes?

my understanding now is that the boards can be installed horizontally, and tapped together (mind you, that's not how it went today :evil: ), and with the last board, it's cut to size, slotted under the pipes, and a pull-bar used...

Am i missing something?

Yes you are missing something..
There are different "click systems" One type that can be fitted horizontally is "uniclic" who make "quick-step" .It's a patented product so no one else can use the same system.
Most, if not all others have their own click system and they all have to be fitted at 45 degrees, so you are going to struggle.

At the very edge of the tongue side of a board the timber is thicker, you can chisel this off, leaving the tongue in tact and glue it in place horizontally using a pull bar.
Also the last board will be 10 or 15mm narrower than the space it is going to fit into as you need to leave an expansion gap.

agree with Mac
The video shows you how to install the first three rows of a T&G floor, not a click-system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back