Problem locking PVC french doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

I've got some french doors that have become very difficult to lock, they are PVC with the lock type where you must lift the handle up before the key will turn. The doors close fine and with the door open the handle lifts fine allowing the key to turn, but with the doors closed something is snagging so the handle is not getting to its upper position.

There are 3 levers that engage from the lockable door to the other door so it must be one of these catching something inside the mating recess on the other side. A quick visual inspection cannot see anything obvious.

The problem has got far worse with the cold weather, it was just catching slightly before to the extent that i knew i needed to look at it, but now it just will not lock with out me forcing the handle up and i really don't want to start doing that and break something.

So my question is, any tips or tricks with these type of locks/doors anything special i should look for or try?

thanks!

Sponsored Links
A quick fix could be if you have ramps in the profile, put one at the bottom of where your opening (master) door leaf closes, as near to the bolted on joining stile as poss, this would then lift your door as it closes, this is only a temp fix, you really would need to toe and heel it as the previous post.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back