Problem re-fitting monobloc tap after replacing connectors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A tap connector to my monobloc bathroom tap has started leaking where it joins to the tap.

The existing tap connectors are rigid 10mm pipes, which were bent into shape to connect with the 15mm pipes which supply the water. I want to replace these with flexible connectors as I find these easier to fit securely.

For the replacement I have bought two Flexible Monobloc Tap Connectors from Wickes (size: 15 x 10 x 300mm). These are fine, except that when they are connected, I cannot reattach the tap to the sink! (There are two threaded screws for the tap and the screws are too close to the new flexible connectors to fit on their securing bolts). The diameter of the flexible connectors is about 10mm, whereas the previous tap connectors were 8mm diameter.

Does anyone know if I can get a flexible connector with piping smaller than 10mm diameter? Alternatively, if I had to buy a new tap, how can I check in advance whether the fittings would have, or be suitable for use with, flexible connectors?

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Some taps have flexible connector as standard.

Can't you refit rigid tail back with new o ring if that is where it is leaking? Rigid tail help secure taps if securing screws isn't enough.

Daniel.

Can't you refit rigid tail back with new o ring if that is where it is leaking? Rigid tail help secure taps if securing screws isn't enough.

Daniel.

Many thanks for that suggestion Daniel.

I've already tried refitting the rigid tails, but once they are screwed in tightly they are a long way from the water pipes and very difficult for me to connect. I'm not sufficiently experienced at pipework to re-bend them (if that is possible) - and they are already a bit fatigued. I think the cause of the leak was not that the O-rings were faulty, but that one of the rigid tails was never screwed in properly in the first place.

(In the meantime, I have seen some flexible connectors on Amazon which say they have a "standard 9mm internal bore". Does this mean they are thinner that the ones at Wickes?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Flexible-Mo...sbs_diy_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=13GS3KGKAVMKEGDCRCA4 )

(In the meantime, I have seen some flexible connectors on Amazon which say they have a "standard 9mm internal bore". Does this mean they are thinner that the ones at Wickes?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Flexible-Mo...sbs_diy_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=13GS3KGKAVMKEGDCRCA4 )

9mm internal bore is the size of the inside hose piece. External is about 11 to 12mm or more.

A photo of the tap bottom body and new tail and how tight securing screw and bolt is would be good :)

Daniel.

Sponsored Links
Rigid tail help secure taps if securing screws isn't enough.

Ha Ha, really? try fitting a set.. ;)

What you on about? I fitted many of these and I find that some of basins does not have perfect flat hole area for mono tap to sit.
I don't like flexible taps connector on taps fitted to stainless steel sink as I find them wobbling and not very secure and call back. I always fit rigid pipes wether people like it or not.

You are just too stupid to fit them
That not very helpful to a Diyer, is it?

A photo of the tap bottom body and new tail and how tight securing screw and bolt is would be good :)

Thanks again for your help. You can see both connectors in these two photos. The bolt cannot get past the head of the flexible connector, and so cannot fix to the basin.

Original rigid tail fitting
View media item 75537
New flexible connector
View media item 75536

That's very tight :confused:

You have two options

1. Keep looking for flexible tap connector with longer 8mm metal tail. Low chance.
2. Cut loss and buy new tap.

Daniel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back