Problem sealing bathtub

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a problem sealing my bath tub. Basically the problem is that the gap between the tiles and the tub is too big, normal sealant isn't working as the gap is too wide.

I bought some white sealant tape from b and q but it wouldn't stick to either surface and ended up coming away from the bath and the tiles after having taken to the surfaces for about 30 mintues.

Can anyone suggest any other alternatives to sealing the bath

thanks

Sponsored Links
Either sealant strips or take off the tiles and fit the bath first and then retile. :D

the sealant wont stick if the surfaces are wet/dirty. clean the surfaces, make sure they are bone dry and try again. to make a neat job of it youve got to apply it pretty sparingly, dont use more than you really need, then get some fairy liquid in a tub diluted with a bit of water. use a paintbrush and smooth the sealant in using the liquid.
job done! :D
ps probably would b a much better finish as your man above says, taking bath out and tiling down onto it but i assume you dont really want to do this!

Sponsored Links
use 50mm x 12mm plastic bath/worktop upstand, comes in white and is rounded at the front edge, available from plumbers merchants, (def available from Grahams Group) you must really clean and dry the area and seal with silicone on the back of the upstand to stick it to the wall and then run a fine line at the top against the wall and where it meets the bath, a good tip is to fill the bath with water before sealing to make sure the bath is fully depressed (like the rest of us at this time of year!!) so that the joint doesn't get disturbed when the bath is filled (even when fully dried out it will eventually start leaking if there is even the slightest movement in the bath but PLEASE make sure there aren't any kids about to go near a bath full of water without any adults about.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back