Problem tiling over an already tiled floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just undertaken my first tiling DIY project, to fully tile kitchen & bathroom, Kitchen walls turned out super but the kitchen floor tiles have lifted. I was told by a friend I should have gave the old tiles a coat of PVA before tiling and then the tiles would have stuck down and not came loose - is this correct. Also could it be possible I did not put on enough pressure to the tiles when putting them down, I lightly tapped them with a rubber hammer and piece of wood. Any advice appreciated before I start the bathroom floor. :oops:

Sponsored Links
Laying larger 33cm sq tiles ontop of very small 2.5 inch tiles. I am not sure what type of tiles they are but they,if any use, appear to be made of a terracotta colour material, are spanish in origin and have a pale cream finish to the tile top, the ones they are being laid on have been down, I think, since the 60's so don't know what they are made of.

Sponsored Links
I think your problem is that you have used the wrong adhesive. You need to use a modified adhesive like a single part flexible. A standard adhesive will not bond to exsisting tiles.

P.

p.pittstop said:
I think your problem is that you have used the wrong adhesive. You need to use a modified adhesive like a single part flexible. A standard adhesive will not bond to exsisting tiles.

P.
I have just finished tiling my own floor (Ceramic tiles on top of exisiting ceramic tiles) & they are rigid solid to the floor.
The problem you are experiencing is due to the fact that you bonded the previous tiles - You don't bond a non porous surface, the bonding just lies on top of the surface (does not penetrate to give a good seal). Try using EVO-STICK TILE A FLOOR fast set adhesive for ceramic tiles. I know that Homebase sell it in 5kg bags (Approx £7.99). :D

Cat Woman said:
Just undertaken my first tiling DIY project, to fully tile kitchen & bathroom, Kitchen walls turned out super but the kitchen floor tiles have lifted. I was told by a friend I should have gave the old tiles a coat of PVA before tiling and then the tiles would have stuck down and not came loose - is this correct. Also could it be possible I did not put on enough pressure to the tiles when putting them down, I lightly tapped them with a rubber hammer and piece of wood. Any advice appreciated before I start the bathroom floor. :oops:

I have just finished tiling my own floor (Ceramic tiles on top of exisiting ceramic tiles) & they are rigid solid to the floor.
The problem you are experiencing is due to the fact that you bonded the previous tiles - You don't bond a non porous surface, the bonding just lies on top of the surface (does not penetrate to give a good seal). Try using EVO-STICK TILE A FLOOR fast set adhesive for ceramic tiles. I know that Homebase sell it in 5kg bags (Approx £7.99).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back